Subject: bug#69085: closed (Re: bug#69085: 29.2; Tramp: Extend tramp-make-copy-program-file-name via tramp-methods)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 12:05:02 +0000

Your bug report

#69085: 29.2; Tramp: Extend tramp-make-copy-program-file-name via tramp-methods

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
69085: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=69085
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#69085: 29.2; Tramp: Extend tramp-make-copy-program-file-name via tramp-methods
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: Sean Devlin <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 13:04:00 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 30.1

Sean Devlin <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Michael,

Hi Sean,

>> I see your point. Appended is a new patch, which addresses your
>> inconvenience. Could you pls apply it on top of Tramp 2.7 instead of the
>> other patch? The method "dockercp" allows now user names, which are
>> ignored when calling "docker cp ...".
>
> This works perfectly! I see no issues with this patch.

Thanks for the feedback.

Over the weekend, I ran Tramp regression tests. There were still some
minor annoyances with the new methods, but that's fixed now.

I've pushed an extended version of the patch to the repositories. Will
be available with Tramp 2.7.1 and Emacs 30.1.

Closing the bug.

> Thanks for spending so much time on this, I really appreciate your help!
>
> Sean

Best regards, Michael.

Subject: 29.2; Tramp: Extend tramp-make-copy-program-file-name via tramp-methods
From: Sean Devlin <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 15:08:46 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi folks,

This is a feature request.

Tramp lets you define a method for out-of-band file copying with the
tramp-methods keys tramp-copy-program, tramp-copy-args, and so on.

Currently, there is no way to customize the format of remote file
paths. The function tramp-make-copy-program-file-name is responsible for
this job, and it is hard-coded to format files as USER@HOST:FILE.

I was working on a custom Tramp method, and I ran into problems setting
up OOB copying due to this limitation.

It would be great if there were a key you could set in tramp-methods to
override this logic. For example, maybe something like:

(tramp-copy-format-file-name my-tramp-make-copy-program-file-name)

Where my-tramp-make-copy-program-file-name is a function taking a vector
as input and returning a string of the formatted file name (similar to
tramp-make-copy-program-file-name).

Alternately, maybe a format string (or something similar to
tramp-login-args/tramp-copy-args) would be sufficient. In my case, I
just need to add a constant prefix to the remote file name, so a format
string would be fine.

Thanks!

In GNU Emacs 29.2 (build 1, aarch64-apple-darwin21.6.0, NS
appkit-2113.60 Version 12.6.6 (Build 21G646)) of 2024-01-18 built on
armbob.lan
Windowing system distributor 'Apple'
System Description:  macOS 14

Configured using:
'configure --with-ns '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
Support/Emacs/${version}/site-lisp:/Library/Application
Support/Emacs/site-lisp' --with-modules 'CFLAGS=-DFD_SETSIZE=10000
-DDARWIN_UNLIMITED_SELECT' --with-x-toolkit=no'

Configured features:
ACL GLIB GMP GNUTLS JPEG JSON LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE NS PDUMPER
PNG RSVG SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 37536 8456)
(symbols 48 5045 0)
(strings 32 13121 2410)
(string-bytes 1 398579)
(vectors 16 10368)
(vector-slots 8 162386 14885)
(floats 8 21 23)
(intervals 56 217 0)
(buffers 984 10))