Subject: bug#69081: 29.1; M-x throwing error with ConTeXt mode

From: Allen Juntao Fang <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 12:10:13 -0500

M-x on start up triggers the "Symbol's chain of function indirections
contains a loop: ConTeXt mode". When I load my init.el from emacs-q, the
error does not occur. This appeared after updating auctex recently,
although I'm not sure where the error could come from given that it does
not appear in emacs -q

In GNU Emacs 29.1 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.20,
cairo version 1.16.0) of 2023-12-10 built on lcy02-amd64-098
Repository revision: 28fb02492c2444c5976eb53fd6f9badfe54f4ea1
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12201001
System Description: Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS

Configured using:
'configure --prefix=/snap/emacs/current/usr --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
--without-xaw3d --with-modules --with-cairo
--with-native-compilation=aot --with-xinput2 --with-tree-sitter
--with-json
'CFLAGS=-isystem/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/include
-isystem/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu
-isystem/build/emacs/stage/usr/include -O2'
'CPPFLAGS=-isystem/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/include
-isystem/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu
-isystem/build/emacs/stage/usr/include'
'LDFLAGS=-L/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/lib
-L/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/lib
-L/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
-L/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
-L/build/emacs/stage/usr/lib''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3
THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM
GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
value of $LC_MONETARY: de_DE.UTF-8
value of $LC_NUMERIC: de_DE.UTF-8
value of $LC_TIME: de_DE.UTF-8
value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ELisp/d

Minor modes in effect:
delete-selection-mode: t
recentf-mode: t
helm-mode: t
helm-minibuffer-history-mode: t
shell-dirtrack-mode: t
async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
server-mode: t
TeX-PDF-mode: t
TeX-source-correlate-mode: t
global-company-mode: t
company-mode: t
save-place-mode: t
override-global-mode: t
pdf-occur-global-minor-mode: t
tooltip-mode: t
global-eldoc-mode: t
eldoc-mode: t
show-paren-mode: t
electric-indent-mode: t
mouse-wheel-mode: t
tool-bar-mode: t
menu-bar-mode: t
file-name-shadow-mode: t
context-menu-mode: t
global-font-lock-mode: t
font-lock-mode: t
blink-cursor-mode: t
line-number-mode: t
indent-tabs-mode: t
transient-mark-mode: t
auto-composition-mode: t
auto-encryption-mode: t
auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-3.9.7/helm-pkg hides 
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20240130.1436/helm-pkg
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-3.9.7/helm-net hides 
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20240130.1436/helm-net
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-3.9.7/helm-buffers hides 
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20240130.1436/helm-buffers
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-3.9.7/helm-global-bindings hides 
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20240130.1436/helm-global-bindings
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-3.9.7/helm-id-utils hides 
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20240130.1436/helm-id-utils
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-3.9.7/helm-man hides 
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20240130.1436/helm-man
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-3.9.7/helm-for-files hides 
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20240130.1436/helm-for-files
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-3.9.7/helm-epa hides 
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20240130.1436/helm-epa
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-3.9.7/helm-elisp hides 
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20240130.1436/helm-elisp
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-3.9.7/helm-dabbrev hides 
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20240130.1436/helm-dabbrev
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-3.9.7/helm-files hides 
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20240130.1436/helm-files
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-3.9.7/helm-command hides 
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20240130.1436/helm-command
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-3.9.7/helm-eval hides 
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20240130.1436/helm-eval
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-3.9.7/helm-packages hides 
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20240130.1436/helm-packages
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-3.9.7/helm-easymenu hides 
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20240130.1436/helm-easymenu
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-3.9.7/helm-eshell hides 
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20240130.1436/helm-eshell
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-3.9.7/helm-locate hides 
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20240130.1436/helm-locate
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-3.9.7/helm-regexp hides 
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20240130.1436/helm-regexp
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-3.9.7/helm-font hides 
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20240130.1436/helm-font
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-3.9.7/helm-semantic hides 
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20240130.1436/helm-semantic
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-3.9.7/helm-help hides 
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20240130.1436/helm-help
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-3.9.7/helm-mode hides 
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20240130.1436/helm-mode
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-3.9.7/helm-info hides 
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20240130.1436/helm-info
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-3.9.7/helm-tags hides 
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20240130.1436/helm-tags
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-3.9.7/helm-adaptive hides 
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20240130.1436/helm-adaptive
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-3.9.7/helm-bookmark hides 
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20240130.1436/helm-bookmark
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-3.9.7/helm-color hides 
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20240130.1436/helm-color
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-3.9.7/helm hides 
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20240130.1436/helm
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-3.9.7/helm-grep hides 
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20240130.1436/helm-grep
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-3.9.7/helm-misc hides 
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20240130.1436/helm-misc
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-3.9.7/helm-ring hides 
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20240130.1436/helm-ring
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-3.9.7/helm-sys hides 
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20240130.1436/helm-sys
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-3.9.7/helm-x-files hides 
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20240130.1436/helm-x-files
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-3.9.7/helm-autoloads hides 
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20240130.1436/helm-autoloads
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-3.9.7/helm-imenu hides 
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20240130.1436/helm-imenu
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-3.9.7/helm-occur hides 
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20240130.1436/helm-occur
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-3.9.7/helm-utils hides 
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20240130.1436/helm-utils
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-3.9.7/helm-fd hides 
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20240130.1436/helm-fd
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-3.9.7/helm-find hides 
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20240130.1436/helm-find
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-3.9.7/helm-external hides 
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20240130.1436/helm-external
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-3.9.7/helm-types hides 
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20240130.1436/helm-types
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20240201.1100/transient hides 
/snap/emacs/current/usr/share/emacs/29.1/lisp/transient
/home/ajfang/.emacs.d/elpa/seq-2.24/seq hides 
/snap/emacs/current/usr/share/emacs/29.1/lisp/emacs-lisp/seq

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug shortdoc help-fns tutorial image-file
image-converter cus-start gdb-mi bindat gud dired-x dired-aux ffap
misearch multi-isearch reftex-sel reftex-ref reftex-parse vc-git
diff-mode vc-dispatcher reporter desktop frameset make-mode
0blayout-autoloads loaddefs-gen lisp-mnt radix-tree tar-mode arc-mode
archive-mode mm-archive mule-util gnutls network-stream url-cache
url-http url-auth url-gw nsm helm-command helm-elisp helm-eval edebug
debug backtrace reftex-auc preview tex-fold smartparens loadhist dash
flyspell rainbow-delimiters display-line-numbers delsel reftex-global
reftex-dcr cdlatex reftex reftex-loaddefs reftex-vars tex-bar toolbar-x
font-latex tex-mode latexenc winner recentf tree-widget tramp-archive
tramp-gvfs tramp-cache time-stamp zeroconf helm-x-files helm-for-files
helm-bookmark helm-adaptive helm-info helm-external helm-net helm-mode
helm-misc helm-files image-dired image-dired-tags image-dired-external
image-dired-util filenotify tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver
tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat shell parse-time iso8601
helm-buffers helm-occur helm-tags helm-locate helm-grep helm-regexp
helm-utils helm-help helm-types helm helm-global-bindings helm-easymenu
helm-core async-bytecomp helm-source helm-multi-match helm-lib async
server modus-operandi-theme modus-themes elfeed-org org-element
org-persist xdg org-id org-refile org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete pcomplete
org-list org-footnote org-faces org-entities noutline outline
ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-cycle org-table ol org-fold
org-fold-core org-keys oc org-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
org-version org-compat org-macs elfeed-score elfeed-score-maint
elfeed-score-scoring elfeed-score-serde elfeed-score-rule-stats
elfeed-show elfeed-search company-math math-symbol-lists message
sendmail yank-media rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils
gmm-utils mailheader shr pixel-fill kinsoku puny svg dom elfeed-csv
elfeed elfeed-curl elfeed-log elfeed-db elfeed-lib time-date avl-tree
url-queue url-file xml-query elfeed-score-rules elfeed-score-log
company-auctex yasnippet latex latex-flymake flymake-proc flymake
thingatpt tex-ispell tex-style tex dbus xml crm texmathp company-oddmuse
company-keywords company-etags etags fileloop generator xref project
company-gtags company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-files
company-clang company-capf company-cmake company-semantic
company-template company-bbdb company use-package-diminish saveplace
edmacro kmacro use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode
use-package-ensure use-package-core pdf-occur ibuf-ext ibuffer
ibuffer-loaddefs tablist advice tablist-filter semantic/wisent/comp
semantic/wisent semantic/wisent/wisent semantic/util-modes semantic/util
semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local find-func
cedet pdf-isearch let-alist pdf-misc imenu pdf-tools compile comint
ansi-osc ansi-color ring cus-edit cus-load wid-edit pdf-view bookmark
text-property-search pp jka-compr pdf-cache pdf-info tq pdf-util
format-spec pdf-macs image-mode dired dired-loaddefs exif ispell
finder-inf site-start comp comp-cstr warnings icons rx cl-extra
help-mode cdlatex-autoloads company-auctex-autoloads auctex-autoloads
tex-site company-math-autoloads company-autoloads elfeed-org-autoloads
elfeed-score-autoloads elfeed-autoloads flyspell-correct-helm-autoloads
flyspell-correct-autoloads helm-autoloads helm-core-autoloads
async-autoloads magit-autoloads pcase git-commit-autoloads
magit-section-autoloads math-symbol-lists-autoloads org-anki-autoloads
pdf-tools-autoloads popup-autoloads pretty-mode-autoloads
promise-autoloads rainbow-delimiters-autoloads request-autoloads
smartparens-autoloads dash-autoloads tablist-autoloads
transient-autoloads undo-tree-autoloads queue-autoloads
wfnames-autoloads with-editor-autoloads info compat-autoloads
seq-autoloads yasnippet-autoloads package browse-url url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x
map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc
iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 3721723 512986)
(symbols 48 53523 2)
(strings 32 530171 113637)
(string-bytes 1 24000202)
(vectors 16 128199)
(vector-slots 8 1834912 310229)
(floats 8 1641 1778)
(intervals 56 318217 2409)
(buffers 984 64))