Subject: bug#69000: Error while upgrading

From: Arash Esbati <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2024 21:26:48 +0100

Michael Heerdegen via bug-auctex via Bug reporting list for AUCTeX <[email-masked]> writes:

> Arash Esbati <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> This should be also fixed now; watch for AUCTeX 14.0.2. which should
>> be available very soon.
>
> As expected it's fixed for me as well.  Thanks to everyone.

Thanks for reporting back.  I'm closing this report since the initial
issues seem to be resolved.

> Side note: Please do not generally assume that every user upgrades from
> a fresh session.  This might be ideal for the developer but is not what
> people (should need to) do.
>
> If an upgrade fails I try to uninstall and reinstall, it's ok for me
> when this happens from time to time, but it should not be the rule that
> this happens every time.

Thanks for the side note.  OTOH, I'd like say that AUCTeX was stable for
many years and for this release, some internals were changed and we
discussed possible breakage upfront.  The change was inevitable so it is
up to us to guide users through the update process now.

At any rate, I hope that users bear with us and enjoy the advantages of
the change.  I think it is worth it and we should be grateful to Keita
would did the actual coding.

Best, Arash