Subject: bug#68998: Failure to install AUCTeX 14.0.0

From: Ikumi Keita <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2024 20:23:17 +0900

Hi Arash,

>>>>> Arash Esbati <[email-masked]> writes:
> Thanks for the report.  I tried the following:

>  • Downloaded and unpacked auctex-13.3.0.tar.lz form this page:
>    https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/auctex.html
>  • Started a fresh Emacs with 'emacs -Q'
>  • M-x package-install-file auctex-13.3.0.tar RET
>  • Opened a .tex file and it works
>  • M-x toggle-debug-on-error RET
>  • M-x list-packages RET and updated AUCTeX to 14.0.0.

> This is the result:

>   Debugger entered--Lisp error: (cyclic-function-indirection context-mode)
>     defalias(context-mode ConTeXt-mode)
>     load-with-code-conversion("/path/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-14.0.0/context.el"
>     "/path/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-14.0.0/context.el" nil t)

> @Keita: Can you reproduce this with the recipe above?  This is with
> Emacs 30.0.50 (05e3183e) on macOS.

I haven't tried it for myself, but that would break for sure. It
shouldn't be attempted to upgrade AUCTeX, especially when major version
increases, in a emacs session where AUCTeX is already used; in other
words,
>  • Opened a .tex file and it works
is the origin of the failure. (See the discussion between Tassilo and me
in the thread in auctex-devel in these few days.) In general, upgrade
installation of ELPA packages (not restrected to AUCTeX) should be done
with fresh emacs session.

However, I realized that ELPA installation of AUCTeX 14.0.0 IS broken in
another aspect even for fresh installation as I wrote in the reply to
Juergen :-( . I'll discuss that topic on another message which I'm going
to write afterwards.

Regards,
Ikumi Keita
#StandWithUkraine #StopWarInUkraine
#Gaza #StopMassiveKilling #CeasefireNOW