Subject: bug#68991: closed (Re: bug#68991: Acknowledgement (13.3.0.2024-02-07; File mode specification error: (void-function LaTeX-mode)))

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2024 08:56:05 +0000

Your bug report

#68991: 13.3.0.2024-02-07; File mode specification error: (void-function LaTeX-mode)

which was filed against the auctex package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
68991: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=68991
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#68991: Acknowledgement (13.3.0.2024-02-07; File mode specification error: (void-function LaTeX-mode))
From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
To: Manuel Uberti via bug-auctex via Bug reporting list for AUCTeX <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Manuel Uberti <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2024 09:31:18 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Manuel Uberti via bug-auctex via Bug reporting list for AUCTeX <[email-masked]> writes:

> Upgrading AUCTeX to version 14.0.2.0.20240209.161258 fixed this
> problem for me.

Yup, 14.0.2 contains a fix for this autoloads issue.  I'm closing this
issue.

Bye,
Tassilo

Subject: 13.3.0.2024-02-07; File mode specification error: (void-function LaTeX-mode)
From: Manuel Uberti <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 17:31:48 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

I updated AUCTeX from GNU ELPA today and if I do the following:

- emacs -Q
- M-x package-initialize
- M-x toggle-debug-on-error
- C-x C-f /tmp/test.tex RET

I see the following:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function LaTeX-mode)
  LaTeX-mode()
  TeX-tex-mode()
  set-auto-mode-0(tex-mode nil)
  set-auto-mode--apply-alist((("\\.hva\\'" . LaTeX-mode)
("\\(?:build\\|profile\\)\\.boot\\'" . clojure-mode) ("\\.cljs\\'" .
clojurescript-mode) ("\\.cljc\\'" . clojurec-mode)
("\\.\\(clj\\|cljd\\|dtm\\|edn\\)\\'" . clojure-mode)
("\\.\\(?:md\\|markdown\\|mkd\\|mdown\\|mkdn\\|mdwn\\)\\'" .
markdown-mode) ("\\.\\(e?ya?\\|ra\\)ml\\'" . yaml-mode)
("\\.gpg\\(~\\|\\.~[0-9]+~\\)?\\'" nil epa-file) ("\\.elc\\'" .
elisp-byte-code-mode) ("\\.zst\\'" nil jka-compr) ("\\.dz\\'" nil
jka-compr) ("\\.xz\\'" nil jka-compr) ("\\.lzma\\'" nil jka-compr)
("\\.lz\\'" nil jka-compr) ("\\.g?z\\'" nil jka-compr) ("\\.bz2\\'" nil
jka-compr) ("\\.Z\\'" nil jka-compr) ("\\.vr[hi]?\\'" . vera-mode)
("\\(?:\\.\\(?:rbw?\\|ru\\|rake\\|thor\\|axlsx\\|jbuilder\\|rabl\\|gemspec\\|podspec\\)\\|/\\(?:Gem\\|Rake\\|Cap\\|Thor\\|Puppet\\|Berks\\|Brew\\|Fast\\|Vagrant\\|Guard\\|Pod\\)file\\)\\'"
. ruby-mode) ("\\.re?st\\'" . rst-mode)
("/\\(?:Pipfile\\|\\.?flake8\\)\\'" . conf-mode) ("\\.py[iw]?\\'" .
python-mode) ("\\.m\\'" . octave-maybe-mode) ("\\.less\\'" .
less-css-mode) ("\\.scss\\'" . scss-mode) ("\\.cs\\'" . csharp-mode)
("\\.awk\\'" . awk-mode) ("\\.\\(u?lpc\\|pike\\|pmod\\(\\.in\\)?\\)\\'"
. pike-mode) ("\\.idl\\'" . idl-mode) ("\\.java\\'" . java-mode)
("\\.m\\'" . objc-mode) ("\\.ii\\'" . c++-mode) ("\\.i\\'" . c-mode)
("\\.lex\\'" . c-mode) ("\\.y\\(acc\\)?\\'" . c-mode) ("\\.h\\'" .
c-or-c++-mode) ("\\.c\\'" . c-mode) ("\\.\\(CC?\\|HH?\\)\\'" . c++-mode)
("\\.[ch]\\(pp\\|xx\\|\\+\\+\\)\\'" . c++-mode) ("\\.\\(cc\\|hh\\)\\'" .
c++-mode) ("\\.\\(bat\\|cmd\\)\\'" . bat-mode)
("\\.[sx]?html?\\(\\.[a-zA-Z_]+\\)?\\'" . mhtml-mode) ("\\.svgz?\\'" .
image-mode) ("\\.svgz?\\'" . xml-mode) ("\\.x[bp]m\\'" . image-mode)
("\\.x[bp]m\\'" . c-mode) ("\\.p[bpgn]m\\'" . image-mode) ("\\.tiff?\\'"
. image-mode) ("\\.gif\\'" . image-mode) ("\\.png\\'" . image-mode) ...)
nil nil)
  set-auto-mode()
  normal-mode(t)
  after-find-file(t t)
  find-file-noselect-1(#<buffer test.tex> "/tmp/test.tex" nil nil
"/tmp/test.tex" nil)
  find-file-noselect("/tmp/test.tex" nil nil t)
  find-file("/tmp/test.tex" t)
  funcall-interactively(find-file "/tmp/test.tex" t)
  command-execute(find-file)

Am I missing something?

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
3.24.33, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2024-02-08
Package: 13.3.0.2024-02-07

current state:
==============
(setq
 AUCTeX-date "2024-02-07"
 window-system 'x
 LaTeX-version "2e"
 TeX-style-path '("~/.emacs.d/auctex"
		  "/home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-13.3.0.0.20240207.110618/style"
		  "/home/manuel/.emacs.d/auctex/auto"
"/home/manuel/.emacs.d/auctex/style" "auto"
		  "style")
 TeX-auto-save nil
 TeX-parse-self nil
 TeX-master t
 TeX-command-list '(("TeX"
		     "%(PDF)%(tex) %(file-line-error) %`%(extraopts)
%S%(PDFout)%(mode)%' %(output-dir) %t"
		     TeX-run-TeX nil (plain-TeX-mode AmSTeX-mode Texinfo-mode) :help
		     "Run plain TeX")
		    ("LaTeX" "%`%l%(mode)%' %T" TeX-run-TeX nil (LaTeX-mode
docTeX-mode) :help
		     "Run LaTeX")
		    ("Makeinfo" "makeinfo %(extraopts) %(o-dir) %t" TeX-run-compile nil
		     (Texinfo-mode) :help "Run Makeinfo with Info output")
		    ("Makeinfo HTML" "makeinfo %(extraopts) %(o-dir) --html %t"
TeX-run-compile
		     nil (Texinfo-mode) :help "Run Makeinfo with HTML output")
		    ("AmSTeX" "amstex %(PDFout) %`%(extraopts) %S%(mode)%'
%(output-dir) %t"
		     TeX-run-TeX nil (AmSTeX-mode) :help "Run AMSTeX")
		    ("ConTeXt" "%(cntxcom) --once --texutil %(extraopts) %(execopts)%t"
		     TeX-run-TeX nil (ConTeXt-mode) :help "Run ConTeXt once")
		    ("ConTeXt Full" "%(cntxcom) %(extraopts) %(execopts)%t"
TeX-run-TeX nil
		     (ConTeXt-mode) :help "Run ConTeXt until completion")
		    ("BibTeX" "bibtex %(O?aux)" TeX-run-BibTeX nil
		     (plain-TeX-mode LaTeX-mode docTeX-mode AmSTeX-mode Texinfo-mode
ConTeXt-mode)
		     :help "Run BibTeX")
		    ("Biber" "biber %(output-dir) %s" TeX-run-Biber nil
		     (plain-TeX-mode LaTeX-mode docTeX-mode AmSTeX-mode Texinfo-mode)
:help
		     "Run Biber")
		    ("Texindex" "texindex %s.??" TeX-run-command nil (Texinfo-mode) :help
		     "Run Texindex")
		    ("Texi2dvi" "%(PDF)texi2dvi %t" TeX-run-command nil (Texinfo-mode)
:help
		     "Run Texi2dvi or Texi2pdf")
		    ("View" "%V" TeX-run-discard-or-function t t :help "Run Viewer")
		    ("Print" "%p" TeX-run-command t t :help "Print the file")
		    ("Queue" "%q" TeX-run-background nil t :help "View the printer queue"
		     :visible TeX-queue-command)
		    ("File" "%(o?)dvips %d -o %f " TeX-run-dvips t
		     (plain-TeX-mode LaTeX-mode docTeX-mode AmSTeX-mode Texinfo-mode)
:help
		     "Generate PostScript file")
		    ("Dvips" "%(o?)dvips %d -o %f " TeX-run-dvips nil
		     (plain-TeX-mode LaTeX-mode docTeX-mode AmSTeX-mode Texinfo-mode)
:help
		     "Convert DVI file to PostScript")
		    ("Dvipdfmx" "dvipdfmx -o %(O?pdf) %d" TeX-run-dvipdfmx nil
		     (plain-TeX-mode LaTeX-mode docTeX-mode AmSTeX-mode Texinfo-mode)
:help
		     "Convert DVI file to PDF with dvipdfmx")
		    ("Ps2pdf" "ps2pdf %f %(O?pdf)" TeX-run-ps2pdf nil
		     (plain-TeX-mode LaTeX-mode docTeX-mode AmSTeX-mode Texinfo-mode)
:help
		     "Convert PostScript file to PDF")
		    ("Glossaries" "makeglossaries %(d-dir) %s" TeX-run-command nil
		     (plain-TeX-mode LaTeX-mode docTeX-mode AmSTeX-mode Texinfo-mode)
:help
		     "Run makeglossaries to create glossary file")
		    ("Index" "makeindex %(O?idx)" TeX-run-index nil
		     (plain-TeX-mode LaTeX-mode docTeX-mode AmSTeX-mode Texinfo-mode)
:help
		     "Run makeindex to create index file")
		    ("upMendex" "upmendex %(O?idx)" TeX-run-index t
		     (plain-TeX-mode LaTeX-mode docTeX-mode AmSTeX-mode Texinfo-mode)
:help
		     "Run upmendex to create index file")
		    ("Xindy" "texindy %s" TeX-run-command nil
		     (plain-TeX-mode LaTeX-mode docTeX-mode AmSTeX-mode Texinfo-mode)
:help
		     "Run xindy to create index file")
		    ("Check" "lacheck %s" TeX-run-compile nil (LaTeX-mode) :help
		     "Check LaTeX file for correctness")
		    ("ChkTeX" "chktex -v6 %s" TeX-run-compile nil (LaTeX-mode) :help
		     "Check LaTeX file for common mistakes")
		    ("Spell" "(TeX-ispell-document \"\")" TeX-run-function nil t :help
		     "Spell-check the document")
		    ("Clean" "TeX-clean" TeX-run-function nil t :help
		     "Delete generated intermediate files")
		    ("Clean All" "(TeX-clean t)" TeX-run-function nil t :help
		     "Delete generated intermediate and output files")
		    ("Other" "" TeX-run-command t t :help "Run an arbitrary command"))
 )

-- 
Manuel Uberti
https://manueluberti.eu