Subject: bug#68988: All arm64/aarch64 platforms disabled in linux-libre 6.7.x!

From: Wilko Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2024 07:57:38 +0100

Hi Vagrant,

Vagrant Cascadian <[email-masked]> writes:

> [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
> The linux-libre 6.7.x package contains ... as far as I can tell, no
> supported arm64/aarch64 platforms! This is a pretty significant
> regression from the linux-libre 6.6.x packaging!

I'll generate a new arm/arm64 config for the 6.7.x series that doesn't
fall behind the 6.6.x series config; and will test it on my pinebook pro
at least before sending in a patch.

Although I have yet to pin down why this happened in the 6.7.x update as
I didn't do anything significantly different than while preparing the
6.6.x series (e.g. copying the old config, running makeconfig and
enabling as much support as possible in the prompts).

So far as a quick rundown:

λ rg -f <(rg --pcre2 -o '.*(?=\=y)' 6.6-arm64.conf | awk '{print $0 ".*not set"}') 6.7-arm64.conf | wc -l
678

678 config options that previously have been set aren't set anymore.

> I am not sure that all the previous platforms were intentionally added,
> but at the very least SUNXI, ROCKCHIP, BCM2835 and probably quite a few
> others should be added back. I am currently running Guix System in a
> virtualized environment, but in the past I've run it on a sunxi systems
> such as pinebook and pine64+... and rockchip systems such as
> pinebook-pro, rock64-rk3328 and rockpro64-rk3399.

I hacked together a simple script based on the 6.6.x series platform
selection to use with new releases to check, that all platforms that
have been enabled before stay enabled. But maybe a better way would be
to use #:extra-options in the *-arm-generic package definitions to
ensure there, that the options will stay enabled at least for the ones
mentioned above. WDYT?

> I don't have the time at the moment to come up with a patch, but 6.7.x
> should probably not become the default linux-libre until this is
> at least partly fixed...

Agreed.

-- 
Kind regards,

Wilko Meyer
[email-masked]