Subject: bug#68985: 30.0.50; Gnus: Add option to disable display of logo image in mode-line

From: Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2024 14:29:22 -0800

Mekeor Melire <[email-masked]> writes:

> 2024-02-08 08:11 [email-masked]:
>
>> What would be the rationale not to show the logo if display of images
>> is supported by the current Emacs session?
>
> As Manuel Giraud said in the other subthread, it's "for those that don't
> want too much icons in their Emacs". Personally, I prefer to not see any
> icons or images in my Emacs - unless viewing an image. It distracts me
> from text.

If we're going down this path, I'd rather expand the scope a little bit
with a customize option that defaults to this value:

'((:type svg :file "gnus-pointer.svg"
        :ascent center)
 (:type xpm :file "gnus-pointer.xpm"
        :ascent center)
 (:type xbm :file "gnus-pointer.xbm"
        :ascent center))

which is passed to `find-image'. This would allow users to put their own
images in there, if that was something they wanted to do, or set the
option to nil for no icon.

What do people think of that? Would you be willing to do that as a
patch, Mekeor?

Thanks,
Eric