Subject: Re: bug#68985: 30.0.50; Gnus: Add option to disable display of logo image in mode-line

From: Mekeor Melire <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2024 19:49:37 +0000

2024-02-08 08:11 [email-masked]:

> What would be the rationale not to show the logo if display of images
> is supported by the current Emacs session?

As Manuel Giraud said in the other subthread, it's "for those that don't
want too much icons in their Emacs". Personally, I prefer to not see any
icons or images in my Emacs - unless viewing an image. It distracts me
from text.

Currently, I use an override-advice to accomplish this:

    (defun /gnus-mode-line-buffer-identification (line)
      "Meant as override-advice for
    `gnus-mode-line-buffer-identification' in order to prevent Gnus
    to show its logo in the mode-line."
      (let* ((str (car-safe line))
              (str (if (stringp str)
                     (car (propertized-buffer-identification str))
                     str)))
        (list str)))

    (advice-add #'gnus-mode-line-buffer-identification
      :override #'/gnus-mode-line-buffer-identification)

I shared this snippet on the proprietary website Reddit where it
received two upvotes. [1] So there seems to be an interest in this
feature. It'd be nice to have a defcustom option rather than needing to
use an advice.

[1]  https://old.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/18mplfa/weekly_tips_tricks_c_thread/ke5yaak/