Subject: bug#68970: 30.0.50; Info.el: Info-url-alist should support format-sequence that encodes "Top" node as "index"

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2024 16:51:57 +0200

> From: Mekeor Melire <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2024 13:27:35 +0000
> 
> The new option Info-url-alist allow users to add custom mappings from
> manual-names to URLs. When the URL-SPEC is provided as string, users may
> use the %e format-sequence. But in the most common case, namely when
> URLs need to use a .html-suffix, this is not usable:
> 
> In the case of the special "Top" node, the %e format-sequence resolves
> to "", i.e. the empty string. It is thus not possible to use a URL-SPEC
> like "https://example.com/%e.html" because "https://example.com/.html"
> is invalid. The user rather wants "https://example.com/index.html" in
> this case.

Sorry, I don't think I understand: "https://example.com/" stands for
"https://example.com/index.html", AFAIK.  This is why %e produces an
empty string for the Top node.  So why would users want to specify
"https://example.com/%e.html" instead of just "https://example.com/%e"?

IOW, I don't see why users will need to use the .html extension in the
alist, it works without the extension.

What am I missing?