Subject: bug#68963: 30.0.50; [PATCH] Split Eshell built-in command documentation into subsections

From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 20:26:08 -0800

On 2/6/2024 7:31 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 16:02:32 -0800
>> From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
>>
>> Currently, the Eshell manual lists all the built-in commands in one
>> section, which can make it hard to find the commands related to the
>> topic you care about. Here's a patch to split this into subsections of
>> various (loosely-defined) topics.
> 
> If people look for commands by using 'i' (Info-index), then finding
> them in a single long section will be as easy as doing that in several
> shorter ones.

The use-case I was imagining for this was a person thinking, "What 
commands does Eshell have for working with [say] directories?" Since 
those were previously interspersed throughout the full command list, it 
would take a fair bit of skimming past irrelevant commands to find the 
directory-related ones.

For looking up a specific command though, I agree that the current 
manual is fine.