Subject: Re: bug#68958: [PATCH] Support bookmarking Xref results buffers

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2024 05:27:27 +0200

On 07/02/2024 14:25, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> To make this happen, we need to propagate some more information to the
>> "*xref*" buffer (and any other Xref fronted).  We do this, without
>> breaking compatibility, by setting a new variable from inside the xrefs
>> fetcher function.  The frontend can examine this variable to learn all
>> about the source of the fetched xrefs after invoking the fetcher.
>> Namely, the "*xref*" buffer uses this information to create bookmarks.
> Thanks.  Frankly, I'm surprised we need such a complex changeset for
> supporting such a simple extension, but I'll let Dmitry judge that.

A lot of changes seem to stem from the desire to add detailed info into 
the bookmarks's name (including the identifier being searched, the 
search type, and the xref backend in use).

At the moment our code doesn't save all of those separately, just 
combines them in xref--fetcher.

So whether the patch has to be complex would depend on whether we really 
need to have bookmark names look exactly like proposed. Though I'd 
rewrite it a little even in that case.