Subject: [bug#68946] [PATCH v2] guix: Add logging module.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 23:17:53 +0100

Hi!

Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> skribis:

> * configure.ac: Require Guile-Lib.
> * guix/logging.scm: New module.
> * Makefile.am (MODULES): Register it.
> * guix/ui.scm (show-guix-help): Document --log-level global option.
> (%log-level): New parameter.
> (run-guix-command): Init logging.
> (run-guix): Parse new --log-level option.
>
> Change-Id: I5026a0d62119615fec3cd0131309f9bcc346a7e9

Two quick notes: I think it’s be best to avoid depending on Guile-Lib
“just” for this (it’s not clear to me what it’s maintenance status is),
and it’d be great to have concrete use case.

My concern with logging is that it’s not a good fit for the functional
parts (unless it has a functional interface like ‘pk’, but that’s still
sorta “cluttering” otherwise functional code), and I’m not sure which
imperative part it could be used for (I don’t doubt there’s such a
thing, but I lack imagination).

Thanks,
Ludo’.