Subject: bug#68943: closed (Re: bug#68943: 29.2; ERC 5.6 on GNU ELPA: customize-group doesn't complete new groups)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 01:15:02 +0000

Your bug report

#68943: 29.2; ERC 5.6 on GNU ELPA: customize-group doesn't complete new groups

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
68943: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=68943
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#68943: 29.2; ERC 5.6 on GNU ELPA: customize-group doesn't complete new groups
From: "J.P." <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], Mauro Aranda <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 17:13:35 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

"J.P." <[email-masked]> writes:

> I guess `custom-make-dependencies' or similar doesn't run when
> installing packages? In any case, the attached patch seems to solve the
> issue, but I'm unsure if it interferes with other Custom-related
> interests. Hoping Mauro (Cc'd) may have some insights.

I've installed this anyway as

  1a36d52413c * Autoload custom-loads for new Custom groups in erc.el

Thanks and closing.

Subject: 29.2; ERC 5.6 on GNU ELPA: customize-group doesn't complete new groups
From: "J.P." <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2024 19:09:30 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Tags: patch

This bug doesn't affect "bundled" versions of ERC.

On Emacs 29:

0. HOME=$(mktemp -d) ./src/emacs --no-site-file
1. (require 'package)
2. (push '("devel" . "https://elpa.gnu.org/devel/") package-archives)
3. C-u M-x package-install RET erc RET
4. Quit and launch Emacs as in 0
5. M-x customize-group RET erc-nicks RET

You're dinged with a "[no match]" (from `completion--do-completion').

(Note that steps 1 and 2 exist because ERC 5.6 hasn't yet been released,
and we can't simulate this with Emacs 28 and erc-sasl due to bug#68660.)

I guess `custom-make-dependencies' or similar doesn't run when
installing packages? In any case, the attached patch seems to solve the
issue, but I'm unsure if it interferes with other Custom-related
interests. Hoping Mauro (Cc'd) may have some insights.

Thanks.

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.38, cairo version 1.17.6) of 2024-02-05 built on localhost
Repository revision: 10faaa3c91045390755791c21349cd562546fdea
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12014000
System Description: Fedora Linux 37 (Workstation Edition)

Configured using:
 'configure --enable-check-lisp-object-type --enable-checking=yes,glyphs
 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g3'
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3
THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
gnus-util time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils compile text-property-search comint
ansi-osc ansi-color ring comp-run comp-common rx erc auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x map format-spec
cl-loaddefs cl-lib erc-backend erc-networks byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile erc-common erc-compat erc-loaddefs rmc iso-transl tooltip
cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq
simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button
loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 85616 11114) (symbols 48 9763 0) (strings 32 24955 4929)
 (string-bytes 1 653182) (vectors 16 16895)
 (vector-slots 8 171913 10414) (floats 8 24 13) (intervals 56 326 0)
 (buffers 976 11))

>From 06ad5f9c25d55a3296da0c3daa5634d61451e71c Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: "F. Jason Park" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 17:17:48 -0800
Subject: [PATCH] [5.6] Autoload custom-loads for new Custom groups in erc.el

* lisp/erc/erc.el: Add `custom-loads' library features for group
symbols `erc-spelling' and `erc-imenu' that aren't defined in all
supported Emacs versions.  Also add groups `erc-sasl' and `erc-nicks'
for new libraries recently added to ERC.  Note that this is unrelated
to prefixes generated for the help system.
---
 lisp/erc/erc.el | 7 +++++++
 1 file changed, 7 insertions(+)

diff --git a/lisp/erc/erc.el b/lisp/erc/erc.el
index 08dfa4b8f1b..4336aafa987 100644
--- a/lisp/erc/erc.el
+++ b/lisp/erc/erc.el
@@ -135,6 +135,13 @@ erc-scripts
   "Running scripts at startup and with /LOAD."
   :group 'erc)
 
+;; Add `custom-loads' features for group symbols missing from a
+;; supported Emacs version, possibly because they belong to a new ERC
+;; library.  These groups all share their library's feature name.
+;;;###autoload(dolist (symbol '( erc-sasl erc-spelling ; 29
+;;;###autoload                   erc-imenu erc-nicks)) ; 30
+;;;###autoload  (custom-add-load symbol symbol))
+
 (defvar erc-message-parsed) ; only known to this file
 
 (defvar erc--msg-props nil
-- 
2.42.0