Subject: bug#68940: 29.2; Random crashes in face for char / font

From: Robert Vojta <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2024 23:46:18 +0100

This was introduced in 29.2, works in 29.1.

1. emacs -Q does not crash

2. bisected it to the following ...

(use-package org
  :config
  (setq org-ellipsis (if (char-displayable-p ?⏷) "\t⏷" nil)))

... this randomly crashes (wild guess 80%). When it doesn't crash
(rare), it works as expected, even w/ the "⏷" character.

If I comment out this org-ellipsis line, everything's fine and it is not
crashing.

Here's the full report from the macOS:

https://gist.github.com/zrzka/373a8a860848efc9aa440dc1e8682a8b

If it does not help, I can build Emacs from source with the debug info,
and run it from gdb.

In GNU Emacs 29.2 (build 1, aarch64-apple-darwin21.6.0, NS
appkit-2113.60 Version 12.6.6 (Build 21G646)) of 2024-01-18 built on
armbob.lan
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2487
System Description:  macOS 14.3

Configured using:
 'configure --with-ns '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
Support/Emacs/${version}/site-lisp:/Library/Application
Support/Emacs/site-lisp' --with-modules 'CFLAGS=-DFD_SETSIZE=10000
-DDARWIN_UNLIMITED_SELECT' --with-x-toolkit=no'

Configured features:
ACL GLIB GMP GNUTLS JPEG JSON LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE NS PDUMPER
PNG RSVG SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8

Major mode: ELisp/l

Minor modes in effect:
  ace-window-display-mode: t
  gcmh-mode: t
  goto-address-prog-mode: t
  subword-mode: t
  display-line-numbers-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  global-hungry-delete-mode: t
  hungry-delete-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  default-text-scale-mode: t
  global-page-break-lines-mode: t
  page-break-lines-mode: t
  pixel-scroll-precision-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  marginalia-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  windmove-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  direnv-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  window-divider-mode: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/Users/zrzka/.emacs.d/elpa/emacsql-sqlite-builtin-20240119.2314/emacsql-sqlite-builtin hides /Users/zrzka/.emacs.d/elpa/emacsql-20240124.1601/emacsql-sqlite-builtin
/Users/zrzka/.emacs.d/elpa/jsonrpc-1.0.24/jsonrpc hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/jsonrpc
/Users/zrzka/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20240201.1100/transient hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug vc-git vc-dispatcher ace-window gcmh
disp-table goto-addr cap-words superword subword display-line-numbers
winner delsel autorevert filenotify elec-pair hungry-delete undo-tree
diff queue avy server saveplace recentf tree-widget savehist
default-text-scale page-break-lines transient mixed-pitch face-remap
pixel-scroll cua-base emacsql-sqlite-builtin sqlite
emacsql-sqlite-common emacsql emacsql-compiler rv-org ob-java ob-C
cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine
cc-vars cc-defs ob-sass ob-css ob-js ob-ruby ob-python python treesit
ob-perl ob-shell shell ob-rust ob-go ox-odt rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse
rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-parse nxml-ns nxml-enc xmltok
nxml-util ox-latex ox-icalendar org-agenda ox-ascii ox-gfm ox-md ox-html
table ox-publish ox org-element org-persist xdg org-id avl-tree
generator org-mac-link org-goto org-refile rv-email mu4e mu4e-org org ob
ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src ob-comint
org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list org-footnote org-faces org-entities
noutline outline icons ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-cycle org-table
ol rx org-fold org-fold-core org-keys oc org-loaddefs find-func
org-version org-compat org-macs format-spec mu4e-notification
notifications mu4e-main mu4e-view gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view
mml-smime smime gnutls dig gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start
gnus-dbus dbus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo parse-time
iso8601 gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win gnus nnheader range
wid-edit cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs mu4e-headers mu4e-compose
mu4e-draft mu4e-actions smtpmail mu4e-search mu4e-lists mu4e-bookmarks
mu4e-mark mu4e-message shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg xml dom
flow-fill hl-line mu4e-contacts mu4e-update mu4e-folders mu4e-context
mu4e-query-items mu4e-server mu4e-modeline mu4e-vars mu4e-helpers
mu4e-config mu4e-window bookmark pp ido message sendmail yank-media puny
dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr mailabbrev
mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader mu4e-obsolete rv-lang-markdown
rv-lang-http uuidgen calc-misc calc-ext calc calc-loaddefs rect
calc-macs rv-lang-yaml yaml-mode rv-lang-ruby bundler inf-ruby compile
text-property-search comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring ruby-mode smie
ruby-hash-syntax rv-snippets yasnippet-capf thingatpt yasnippet-snippets
yasnippet rv-flymake rv-spelling rv-completion orderless marginalia
compat rv-copilot rv-gpt rv-eglot rv-vc rv-treesit rv-editor which-key
use-package-diminish rv-windows windmove rv-buffers ibuffer-project
project ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs edmacro kmacro
use-package-bind-key bind-key rv-theme modus-vivendi-theme
modus-operandi-theme modus-themes rv-keychain rv-env direnv diff-mode
easy-mmode dash exec-path-from-shell rv-packages diminish cl-extra
help-mode use-package-ensure use-package-core finder-inf
ace-pinyin-autoloads ace-window-autoloads aggressive-indent-autoloads
all-the-icons-autoloads async-autoloads avy-zap-autoloads avy-autoloads
beginend-autoloads borland-blue-theme-autoloads bundler-autoloads
consult-eglot-autoloads consult-autoloads copilot-autoloads
csv-mode-autoloads default-text-scale-autoloads diminish-autoloads
direnv-autoloads dockerfile-mode-autoloads drag-stuff-autoloads
dumb-jump-autoloads editorconfig-autoloads eglot-jl-autoloads
emacsql-sqlite-builtin-autoloads engrave-faces-autoloads
exec-path-from-shell-autoloads expand-region-autoloads
flycheck-autoloads forge-autoloads closql-autoloads emacsql-autoloads
gcmh-autoloads ghub-autoloads goto-chg-autoloads gptel-autoloads
haml-mode-autoloads hide-mode-line-autoloads ht-autoloads
hungry-delete-autoloads ialign-autoloads ibuffer-project-autoloads
jsonrpc-autoloads know-your-http-well-autoloads lv-autoloads
magit-autoloads pcase git-commit-autoloads magit-section-autoloads
marginalia-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads minitest-autoloads
mixed-pitch-autoloads mwim-autoloads nerd-icons-autoloads
ob-go-autoloads ob-rust-autoloads orderless-autoloads
org-fragtog-autoloads org-mac-link-autoloads org-mime-autoloads
org-modern-autoloads org-pomodoro-autoloads alert-autoloads
log4e-autoloads gntp-autoloads org-preview-html-autoloads
org-rich-yank-autoloads org-timeline-autoloads org-tree-slide-autoloads
ox-gfm-autoloads page-break-lines-autoloads pfuture-autoloads
pinyinlib-autoloads pkg-info-autoloads epl-autoloads popup-autoloads
rainbow-delimiters-autoloads rbenv-autoloads restclient-autoloads
rg-autoloads ripgrep-autoloads robe-autoloads inf-ruby-autoloads
ruby-hash-syntax-autoloads ruby-refactor-autoloads scss-mode-autoloads
shrink-path-autoloads f-autoloads s-autoloads sly-autoloads
solaire-mode-autoloads solarized-theme-autoloads spinner-autoloads
sqlite3-autoloads terraform-mode-autoloads dash-autoloads
hcl-mode-autoloads toc-org-autoloads toml-mode-autoloads
transient-autoloads treepy-autoloads tsc-autoloads
typescript-mode-autoloads undo-tree-autoloads queue-autoloads
uuidgen-autoloads vterm-autoloads vundo-autoloads wfnames-autoloads
wgrep-autoloads which-key-autoloads with-editor-autoloads info
compat-autoloads yaml-autoloads yaml-mode-autoloads yard-mode-autoloads
yari-autoloads yasnippet-capf-autoloads yasnippet-snippets-autoloads
yasnippet-autoloads package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file
url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json map byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib subr-x rmc iso-transl tooltip
cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util
term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads kqueue cocoa ns multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 741972 556806)
 (symbols 48 45280 0)
 (strings 32 204232 53998)
 (string-bytes 1 6071164)
 (vectors 16 72322)
 (vector-slots 8 857646 566423)
 (floats 8 424 2185)
 (intervals 56 900 77)
 (buffers 984 14))