Subject: Re: bug#68929: [PATCH] Copy which-key from GNU ELPA into core

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 13:13:04 +0300

> From: Jeremy Bryant <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked],
>   [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 10:21:24 +0100
> 
> > I am currently looking at the merging of history, there appear to be 2
> > historical commits which exceed the line length in CONTRIBUTE.  
> > If there is a recommended way to change them please let me know.
> 
> I have worked out the change command that work locally to allow these 2 historical
> commits to be merged.  (with thanks to Stefan)
> 
> git merge --no-verify --allow-unrelated-histories --no-edit
> which-key-integration/which-key-prepare-integration
> 
> 
> FYI the two exceptions were below.  Allowing these would preserve the
> copyright assignment tracking.
> $ git log --oneline | awk 'length($0)>78+8'
> ;; :group 'which-key |ad8eb57 Merge branch 'better-window-sizes' of
> https://github.com/bmag/emacs-which-key into better-window-sizes
> ;; :type 'string) |1fd43dc Merge branch 'frame-popup' of
> https://github.com/bmag/emacs-which-key into pr12

Is line length the only issue you are looking at?  What about other
requirements of our logs and ChangeLog files, including those imposed
by authors.el?  The most problematic issue is when the file names
and/or its leading directories in the log message don't fit the actual
place and name of the file in the tree.  Did you look at those issues?
They typically come up when preparing a release tarball, and are quite
annoying at that time, especially if there are a lot of them, because
they require manual fixes.