Subject: Re: bug#68929: [PATCH] Copy which-key from GNU ELPA into core

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 14:13:30 +0300

> From: Jeremy Bryant <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked],
>   [email-masked]
> Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 22:52:08 +0100
> 
> > Is line length the only issue you are looking at?  What about other
> > requirements of our logs and ChangeLog files, including those imposed
> > by authors.el?  The most problematic issue is when the file names
> > and/or its leading directories in the log message don't fit the actual
> > place and name of the file in the tree.  Did you look at those issues?
> > They typically come up when preparing a release tarball, and are quite
> > annoying at that time, especially if there are a lot of them, because
> > they require manual fixes.
> 
> Yes, sorry, I have only looked at the line length because it came up as
> a blocker.
> 
> As far as the file names, this appears stable, but the place in the tree
> would move as part of this proposed integration, to be in
> lisp/which-key.el rather than at the root as is the case for the ELPA
> version.  Is this a problem and how was it resolved with other moves
> from ELPA to core?

Sorry, I don't remember the details.  I probably fixed some issues by
hand, and for some others added/modified the relevant data structures
in admin/authors.el, which see.

> Upon inspection, the earlier historical commits do not generally conform to the
> Changelog format.
> How to investigate any issues for authors.el?  Is there a function try
> and run?

The function is "M-x authors", defined in admin/authors.el.  It first
updates ChangeLog.4, and then attempts the regenerate AUTHORS; you
will need to "git reset" to return to the current versions once you
are finished.  The following extract from admin/make-tarball.txt gives
some guidance, and more information is available in comments to
authors.el:

    After "M-x authors" finishes, if there is an "*Authors Errors*"
    buffer, address the issues.  If there was a ChangeLog typo, fix
    the relevant entry.  If a file was deleted or renamed, consider
    adding an appropriate entry to variables authors-ignored-files,
    authors-valid-file-names, or authors-renamed-files-alist in
    authors.el.  If some authors are "ignored", consider adding
    entries to the author-aliases variable.

    If necessary, repeat 'C-u M-x authors' after making those changes.

If you see too many problems than you can handle, feel free to give up
on them and leave them until the first pretest.