Subject: Re: bug#6892: Please add a way to jump to advices

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 May 2022 18:41:52 +0200

Ken Hori <[email-masked]> writes:

> There is describe-function and describe-variable, but no describe-advice.
>
> (describe-function 'foo) describes function foo, but if it's adviced it states
> "[t]his function is advised," along with its documentation -- but
> without a way to
> actually jump to its source.

(I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately weren't resolved
at the time.)

This seems to still be the case with advice-add:

(defun bar ()
  (interactive)
  (forward-line 1))

(advice-add 'bar :before (lambda () (forward-line 1)))

leads to:

---
bar is an interactive Lisp function in ‘/tmp/ad.el’.

(bar)

This function has :before advice: No documentation
---

And no links to the advice.

I'm sure this has come up before -- does advice add no pointers (to
load-history, I guess?) that the help system could pick up?

Or has that been considered and rejected before?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no