Subject: bug#68919: closed (Re: bug#68919: 30.0.50; etc/w32-feature.el: tests do not work under --batch)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2024 03:29:02 +0000

Your bug report

#68919: 30.0.50; etc/w32-feature.el: tests do not work under --batch

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
68919: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=68919
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#68919: 30.0.50; etc/w32-feature.el: tests do not work under --batch
From: Corwin Brust <[email-masked]>
To: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2024 21:28:28 -0600
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Mon, Dec 23, 2024 at 9:05 PM Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> >> From: Corwin Brust <[email-masked]>
> >> Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 09:25:32 -0600
> >> Cc: [email-masked]
> >>
> >> On Sun, Feb 4, 2024 at 1:08 AM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >> >
> >> > We can do better than this, I think.  The following works in batch
> >> > mode:
> >> >
> >> >   emacs -batch --eval "(message \"%s\" (get 'uniscribe 'font-driver-superseded-by))"
> >> >    => harfbuzz
> >> >
> >>
> >> Thank you, Eli - let me know if this is better.
> >
> > LGTM, thanks.
>
> Corwin, could you please install this patch and close this bug?
>

Done with 0e43e35f96e..c29b798537e  emacs-30 -> emacs-30.
Thank you.

> >
> >> (Should we continue using frame-parameters in when display-graphic-p
> >> is t?  I assume not; this works in both cases and is thus better
> >> because it's simpler, or so I have thought.)
> >
> > Yes, for this particular feature there's no need to use
> > frame-parameters anymore, since the above test works in all kinds of
> > session.
>
> Not sure what to do about this part.
>

Nothing to be done, I believe. Here I think Eli confirms I was correct
to ignore `display-graphic-p' because the font-driver-superseded-by
will only eq harfbuz when Emacs was both built with support for
harfbuzz -and- actually succeeded in loading the DLL in the run-time,
(so I guess we load that DLL even in batch mode :)

Subject: 30.0.50; etc/w32-feature.el: tests do not work under --batch
From: Corwin Brust <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 21:37:15 -0600
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Severity: minor
Tags: patch
thanks

It would be nice to be able to run the feature tests for the Windows
port in batch mode.

emacs.exe -l etc/w32-feature.el --batch -eval \
  '(ert-run-tests-batch-and-exit)'

This currently fails because the harfbuzz test is ungated: it runs
irrespective of whether a (graphical) display is attached.  Once I
receive a confirmation with this Bug# for the commit message, I'll
send along a tiny patch to address this using `display-graphic-p'.

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32) of 2024-02-03 built
 on AVALON
Repository revision: 4ebded3f5ee8617ac6b1debaa01706cd78206f39
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.19045
System Description: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (v10.0.2009.19045.3996)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-modules --without-dbus --with-native-compilation
 --without-compress-install --with-tree-sitter CFLAGS=-O2'

Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY W32NOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XPM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils comp-run bytecomp
byte-compile comp-common rx time-date subr-x cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc
iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table
term/w32-win w32-win w32-vars term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads w32notify w32 lcms2 multi-tty
move-toolbar make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 61441 24999) (symbols 48 5987 0) (strings 32 17339 1819)
 (string-bytes 1 551266) (vectors 16 9770)
 (vector-slots 8 141106 10976) (floats 8 25 37) (intervals 56 257 0)
 (buffers 984 11))