Subject: bug#68915: Request to include a couple of packages in GNU ELPA

From: Rahguzar <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2024 21:36:55 +0100

Hi Stefan

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

>>>> I would like to propose a couple of my packages for inclusion in GNU
>>>> ELPA. They are:
>>>>
>>>> 1) consult-hoogle: https://codeberg.org/rahguzar/consult-hoogle
>>>> It allows the use of hoogle search engine for haskell programming
>>>> language from Emacs using the interfaces provided by consult package.
>>>>
>>>> 2) filechooser.el: https://codeberg.org/rahguzar/filechooser
>>>> It implements the backend D-bus methods for xdg filechooser and can be
>>>> used to provide an Emacs based file selection interface for applications
>>>> such as web browsers which support using xdg desktop portals for this
>>>> purpose.
>
> Thanks, added.

Thanks a lot! I think I need to change the version header before they
appear on ELPA? I will deal with feedback here before doing that.

> For both of those packages, it'd be nice to add a `.gitignore` with
> something like:
>
>     *.elc
>
>     # ELPA-generated files
>     /consult-hoogle-autoloads.el
>     /consult-hoogle-pkg.el
>
> For `consult-hoogle` I suggest you add a `.elpaignore` so as to prevent
> the large PNG files to make their way into the tarball, since they're so
> much larger than the rest of the package and they're not really useful
> in `~/.emacs.d/elpa`.

I will add the `.elpaignore` file.

> For `filechooser.el`, I see you bumped into the fact that `bytecomp.el`
> doesn't keep track of those functions defined within a `let`, so you
> refrained from using #' to refer to those functions.

Yes, I find that style quite nice and defvars for localized state feel
wrong but I have mostly come around to that and stopped using top level
let. Maybe a variable for that state is the easiest thing to do.

> The better solution is to send a patch for `bytecomp.el`, of course, but
> in this specific case you could workaround the problem with something
> like the (guaranteed 100% untested) patch below.  It's not very pretty,
> so I recommend you look into that `bytecomp.el` patch 🙂.

That will probably require some CS education :) I am not a coder by
trade rather an aspiring academic in another field.

>         Stefan