Subject: Re: Windows makes Emacs choke on and swallow the WIN keys

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2024 17:45:12 +0300

> From: Raffael Stocker <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2024 15:26:21 +0200
> 
> Raffael Stocker <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > this is a weird one (and long, apologies).  On MS Windows, it sometimes
> > happens that a windows key gets stuck, that is, it remains (logically)
> > pressed down, and this behaviour is correlated with Emacs use.  A
> > colleague and I are seeing this on two installations with Emacs 28.2 and
> > 29.2 on Windows 10 and 11.  Unfortunately, this is somewhat random and
> > we have not found a way to trigger it directly.
> > [...]
> > We have had good results with increasing the ‘LowLevelHooksTimeout’, but
> > we had to set it to the maximum value of 1000 ms.  I am not sure about
> > the default value; the internet claims it to be 200 ms.
> 
> I believe I can now provide an update here.  The last few (2...3) months
> we have been running Emacs 30 on two machines, with
> ‘LowLevelHooksTimeout’ set to 10 (to more easily trigger this bug).  In
> this time, we have not seen the bug at all.
> 
> To confirm that this is connected to the Emacs version we were running,
> my colleague has now used Emacs 29.2 for a couple of days.  And lo and
> behold, on the second day, the bug re-surfaced: she pressed the windows
> key in Emacs, then changed to some other program and there it was.
> 
> So, it seems we can be reasonably confident that something in Emacs 30
> fixed this bug.  Perhaps it was the WTS_SESSION fix after all (although
> then I don't understand how), or it was something else.
> 
> I don't know whether this qualifies as good enough to close this issue,
> but I suspect we might not be seeing this bug again.

Thanks, I will soon close this bug if no further comments are posted.