Subject: 23.2.50; Initial input of dired touch command not correct

From: Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 14:39:11 +0200

Hi all,
i have already posted on emacs-dev, and i had no answer, so i assume
there is no good reason to use the more recent file of the marked files
as reference timestamp for all the marked files.

This actual behavior doesn't fit with what the manual describe nor with
the default behavior of shell command touch.

This actual behavior seem to be more like the shell command touch does
with the "-r" option that take a reference file as argument to set a
timestamp.

Maybe this approach is better: 
if the emacs touch command is "touch -r",
use as default input the more recent file (what will be the same as what
is used actually), otherwise, if the touch command is set
to "touch" without args, use current-time as default timestamp.

Even better would be a variable to handle touch command and one to
handle args.

In GNU Emacs 23.2.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1)
 of 2010-08-20 on tux
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10707000
configured using `configure  '--prefix=/usr' '--build=i686-pc-linux-gnu' '--host=i686-pc-linux-gnu' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--datadir=/usr/share' '--sysconfdir=/etc' '--localstatedir=/var/lib' '--program-suffix=-emacs-23-vcs' '--infodir=/usr/share/info/emacs-23-vcs' '--with-sound' '--with-x' '--without-gconf' '--without-toolkit-scroll-bars' '--with-gif' '--with-jpeg' '--with-png' '--with-rsvg' '--with-tiff' '--with-xpm' '--with-xft' '--without-libotf' '--without-m17n-flt' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk' '--without-hesiod' '--without-kerberos' '--without-kerberos5' '--with-gpm' '--with-dbus' 'build_alias=i686-pc-linux-gnu' 'host_alias=i686-pc-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-march=i686 -pipe -O2' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LC_CTYPE: fr_FR.UTF-8
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: fr_FR.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  auto-image-file-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-x C-b <down> <down> <down> <down> <return> M-> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> M-x r e p o r t <return>

Recent messages:
Desktop lazily opening open.xpm (4 remaining)...done
Desktop lazily opening .newsticker-cache (3 remaining)...done
Desktop lazily opening .screen_exchange (2 remaining)...done
Desktop lazily opening .bash_history (1 remaining)...done
Lazy desktop load complete

Mark set
Auto-saving...done
Collecting symbols...done

Load-path shadows:
/home/thierry/elisp/AC/auto-complete hides /home/thierry/elisp/auto-complete
/home/thierry/elisp/subversion/psvn hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/subversion/psvn
~/elisp/g-client/json hides /usr/share/emacs/23.2.50/lisp/json
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/hex-util hides /usr/share/emacs/23.2.50/lisp/hex-util
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/sha1 hides /usr/share/emacs/23.2.50/lisp/sha1
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/md4 hides /usr/share/emacs/23.2.50/lisp/md4
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/ntlm hides /usr/share/emacs/23.2.50/lisp/net/ntlm
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/hmac-def hides /usr/share/emacs/23.2.50/lisp/net/hmac-def
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/sasl-digest hides /usr/share/emacs/23.2.50/lisp/net/sasl-digest
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/sasl hides /usr/share/emacs/23.2.50/lisp/net/sasl
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/hmac-md5 hides /usr/share/emacs/23.2.50/lisp/net/hmac-md5
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/sasl-cram hides /usr/share/emacs/23.2.50/lisp/net/sasl-cram
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/sasl-ntlm hides /usr/share/emacs/23.2.50/lisp/net/sasl-ntlm
/home/thierry/elisp/emms/lisp/tq hides /usr/share/emacs/23.2.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/tq

Features:
(shadow gnus-cite gnus-demon gnus-namazu gnus-dired nnshimbun shimbun
luna eword-encode eword-decode std11 mel path-util mime-def mcharset
mcs-20 mcs-e20 pces pces-e20 pces-20 broken pcustom poe gnus-bcklg spam
spam-stat bbdb-com bbdb gnus-uu yenc gnus-alias mail-extr gnus-msg
emacsbug xhg-dvc xhg xhg-annotate xhg-mq xhg-log view vc-rcs align-let
server google-maps google-maps-static google-maps-geocode
google-maps-base json simple-call-tree el-expectations el-mock csv2org
iedit eieio-base eieio zop-to-char elscreen-server elscreen-dired
elscreen-w3m mule-util alist pym static apel-ver product elscreen
undo-tree smallurl mm-url xml-weather rectangle-utils windmove
auto-document eiv tv-utils eldoc pcvs pcvs-parse pcvs-info pcvs-defs
showtip init-anything-thierry descbinds-anything anything-ipython
shell-history anything-complete anything-show-completion anything-etags
anything-match-plugin etags anything-traverse anything-delicious
anything-mercurial addressbook-bookmark bzr-core cg-core xdarcs-core
xgit-core xhg-core xmtn-minimal tla smerge-mode dvc-state dvc-config
dvc-diff dvc-fileinfo diff dvc-cmenu dvc-about dvc-version dvc-revlist
uniquify anything-config w3m-bookmark rx anything firefox-protocol
bookmark-firefox-handler bookmark-extensions bookmark install-elisp
find-func mb-depth autodoc ioccur traverselisp thumb-page moz cl-info
slime-xref-browser slime-banner slime-tramp slime-asdf slime-fancy
slime-fontifying-fu slime-package-fu slime-references slime-scratch
slime-presentations slime-fuzzy slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c
slime-editing-commands slime-autodoc slime-parse slime-repl slime
apropos hideshow hyperspec thingatpt slime-autoloads boxquote rect
image-file tramp-imap tramp-gw tramp-fish tramp-smb tramp-cache
tramp-ftp tramp-cmds tramp tramp-compat trampver newsticker
newst-treeview newst-plainview newst-reader newst-ticker newst-backend
ledger pcomplete esh-arg esh-util lpr woman man assoc two-column
shell-command em-term term ehelp electric esh-toggle em-xtra flymake
pdbtrack pycomplete pymacs ipython python-mode info-look ansi-color
executable shell no-word regex-tool whitespace htmlfontify paren time
dired-tar compile comint dired-extension image-dired dired-details
yaoddmuse skeleton sgml-mode emms-mpd-config emms-playlist-limit
emms-volume emms-volume-amixer emms-i18n emms-history emms-score
emms-stream-info emms-metaplaylist-mode emms-bookmarks
emms-lastfm-client xml parse-time emms-cue emms-mode-line-icon
emms-browser sort emms-playlist-sort emms-last-played emms-player-xine
emms-player-mpd tq emms-playing-time emms-lyrics emms-url hl-line
emms-tag-editor emms-mark emms-mode-line emms-cache emms-info-ogginfo
emms-info-mp3info emms-playlist-mode emms-player-vlc emms-player-mplayer
emms-info emms-streams later-do emms-source-playlist emms-source-file
emms-player-simple emms-setup emms emms-compat winner dvc-init bzr-gnus
tla-gnus xgit-gnus xhg-gnus gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view smime dig
dvc-gnus tla-core pp tla-autoconf tla-defs dvc-log vc vc-dispatcher
dvc-unified dvc-tips dired-x dired-aux ffap ediff-merg ediff-diff
ediff-wind ediff-help ediff-util ediff-mult ediff-init ediff
dvc-autoloads dvc-core dvc-lisp dvc-buffers dvc-ui dvc-register
dvc-utils dvc-emacs ewoc dvc-defs dvc-site psvn log-edit ring pcvs-util
add-log diff-mode htmlize-hack htmlize muse-colors muse-docbook
muse-texinfo texnfo-upd texinfo muse-latex muse-html muse-xml-common
muse-wiki cus-edit cus-start cus-load muse-publish muse-project
muse-protocols muse-regexps muse muse-nested-tags muse-mode
muse-autoloads org-config-thierry org-crypt cal-china lunar solar
cal-dst cal-bahai cal-islam cal-hebrew holidays hol-loaddefs vc-hg
org-wl org-w3m org-vm org-rmail org-mhe org-mew org-irc org-jsinfo
org-infojs org-html org-exp org-exp-blocks org-info org-gnus org-bibtex
org-bbdb org-agenda appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs org-annotation-helper url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-util url-parse url-vars remember
org-remember org-datetree org byte-opt warnings bytecomp byte-compile
org-footnote org-src org-list org-faces org-compat org-macs noutline
outline config-w3m w3m browse-url doc-view jka-compr image-mode timezone
w3m-hist w3m-fb w3m-ems w3m-ccl ccl w3m-favicon w3m-image w3m-proc
w3m-util mime-w3m w3m-load recentf tree-widget savehist epa-file epa
derived epg epg-config auth-source dired gnus-async nntp gnus-sum nnoo
gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source format-spec gnus-start gnus-spec
gnus-int gnus-range message sendmail regexp-opt ecomplete rfc822 mml
mml-sec password-cache mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
canlock sha1 sha1-el hex-util hashcash gnus-win gnus gnus-ems nnheader
gnus-util netrc time-date mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit info
easymenu usage-memo desktop punycode idna basic-theme edmacro kmacro
eev-thierry iterator eev-all eev-mini-steps eev-browse-url eev-langs
eev-compose eev-glyphs disp-table eev-insert eev-steps eev-bounded eev
easy-mmode advice help-fns advice-preload cl cl-19 site-gentoo w3m-wget
preview-latex tex-site auto-loads tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd font-setting tool-bar dnd fontset
image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev loaddefs button minibuffer faces cus-face files
text-properties overlay md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom
widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
font-render-setting gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

-- 
Thierry Volpiatto
Get my Gnupg key:
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 59F29997