Subject: bug#68850: emacs: rgrep does not work over tramp

From: Simon Streit <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2024 21:02:35 +0100

Thank you for your quick reply!

Tomas Volf <[email-masked]> writes:

> Customizing `find-program' to just "find" and restarting Emacs does the
> trick.  So just sticking
>
>     (setopt find-program "find")
>
> into `init.el' should work.
>
> I played with it around for a bit but did not figure out how to
> customize it in already running Emacs.  I am sure it is possible, but I
> hit the self-imposed time limit before figuring it out.

Setting this variable fixes it and happily applied it locally.

I also get your point now too.  The path has been hard-coded at build
time.  Looking into the package declaration, it is not the only one
being modified.  This modification may seem reasonable when working
within an environment of Guix.  But it can become a disadvantage
when working on hosts that are sans Guix.

Also, how can this path to an application within the store work on a
remote system – that may also have a Guix store – when it does not
exist?  My guess here is, that tramp will call the application on remote
host it is working on.  Then it should also expect that path on the
remote store to exist too.

I can't deny that my Guix systems are not that much different to each
other.  They usually tend to have similar states of stores.  I can test
a scenario with an empty near clean store.

Kind regards

-- 
Simon