Subject: bug#6884: 23.2; emacs --daemon; involuntary frame switching

From: Arik Mitschang <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 10:14:29 -0400

The scenario (confirmed with emacs -Q --daemon):

1) run emacs --daemon
2a) in one text based console I open a client
2b) in this client I open a second frame
2c) switch to the second frame to work on something
3) open another client in a different text based terminal

-- now I have 3 frames, two in one terminal, one in another --

4) in the 2nd (one frame) terminal I do M-x in order
   to type in a command (or do any command which prompts
   via the minibuffer)

the RESULT: 

emacs switches to the first opened frame in the first console client
session.  this is not what I want to happen. In fact, I want nothing to
happen, the first session should simply stay in the frame state it was
in.

Any ideas? Anyone seen this behavior before? Thanks in advance!

Thanks,
~Arik

In GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.10.4)
 of 2010-07-26 on lacuna
configured using `configure  '--prefix=/data/lacuna' '--without-gif''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=none
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/amitschang/.emacs.d/lisp23/org-mac-message hides /data/lacuna/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-mac-message
/home/amitschang/.emacs.d/lisp23/org-agenda hides /data/lacuna/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-agenda
/home/amitschang/.emacs.d/lisp23/org-plot hides /data/lacuna/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-plot
/home/amitschang/.emacs.d/lisp23/org-id hides /data/lacuna/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-id
/home/amitschang/.emacs.d/lisp23/org-inlinetask hides /data/lacuna/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-inlinetask
/home/amitschang/.emacs.d/lisp23/org-bbdb hides /data/lacuna/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-bbdb
/home/amitschang/.emacs.d/lisp23/org-exp hides /data/lacuna/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-exp
/home/amitschang/.emacs.d/lisp23/org-datetree hides /data/lacuna/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-datetree
/home/amitschang/.emacs.d/lisp23/org-exp-blocks hides /data/lacuna/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-exp-blocks
/home/amitschang/.emacs.d/lisp23/org-feed hides /data/lacuna/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-feed
/home/amitschang/.emacs.d/lisp23/org-mew hides /data/lacuna/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-mew
/home/amitschang/.emacs.d/lisp23/org-jsinfo hides /data/lacuna/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-jsinfo
/home/amitschang/.emacs.d/lisp23/org-src hides /data/lacuna/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-src
/home/amitschang/.emacs.d/lisp23/org-icalendar hides /data/lacuna/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-icalendar
/home/amitschang/.emacs.d/lisp23/org-attach hides /data/lacuna/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-attach
/home/amitschang/.emacs.d/lisp23/org-archive hides /data/lacuna/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-archive
/home/amitschang/.emacs.d/lisp23/org-vm hides /data/lacuna/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-vm
/home/amitschang/.emacs.d/lisp23/org-habit hides /data/lacuna/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-habit
/home/amitschang/.emacs.d/lisp23/org hides /data/lacuna/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org
/home/amitschang/.emacs.d/lisp23/org-protocol hides /data/lacuna/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-protocol
/home/amitschang/.emacs.d/lisp23/org-wl hides /data/lacuna/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-wl
/home/amitschang/.emacs.d/lisp23/org-rmail hides /data/lacuna/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-rmail
/home/amitschang/.emacs.d/lisp23/org-mouse hides /data/lacuna/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-mouse
/home/amitschang/.emacs.d/lisp23/org-irc hides /data/lacuna/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-irc
/home/amitschang/.emacs.d/lisp23/org-colview hides /data/lacuna/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-colview
/home/amitschang/.emacs.d/lisp23/org-indent hides /data/lacuna/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-indent
/home/amitschang/.emacs.d/lisp23/org-faces hides /data/lacuna/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-faces
/home/amitschang/.emacs.d/lisp23/org-remember hides /data/lacuna/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-remember
/home/amitschang/.emacs.d/lisp23/org-compat hides /data/lacuna/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-compat
/home/amitschang/.emacs.d/lisp23/org-freemind hides /data/lacuna/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-freemind
/home/amitschang/.emacs.d/lisp23/org-html hides /data/lacuna/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-html
/home/amitschang/.emacs.d/lisp23/org-mhe hides /data/lacuna/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-mhe
/home/amitschang/.emacs.d/lisp23/org-list hides /data/lacuna/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-list
/home/amitschang/.emacs.d/lisp23/org-footnote hides /data/lacuna/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-footnote
/home/amitschang/.emacs.d/lisp23/org-clock hides /data/lacuna/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-clock
/home/amitschang/.emacs.d/lisp23/org-xoxo hides /data/lacuna/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-xoxo
/home/amitschang/.emacs.d/lisp23/org-w3m hides /data/lacuna/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-w3m
/home/amitschang/.emacs.d/lisp23/org-table hides /data/lacuna/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-table
/home/amitschang/.emacs.d/lisp23/org-timer hides /data/lacuna/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-timer
/home/amitschang/.emacs.d/lisp23/org-publish hides /data/lacuna/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-publish
/home/amitschang/.emacs.d/lisp23/org-crypt hides /data/lacuna/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-crypt
/home/amitschang/.emacs.d/lisp23/org-gnus hides /data/lacuna/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-gnus
/home/amitschang/.emacs.d/lisp23/org-mobile hides /data/lacuna/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-mobile
/home/amitschang/.emacs.d/lisp23/org-install hides /data/lacuna/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-install
/home/amitschang/.emacs.d/lisp23/org-macs hides /data/lacuna/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-macs
/home/amitschang/.emacs.d/lisp23/org-latex hides /data/lacuna/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-latex
/home/amitschang/.emacs.d/lisp23/org-bibtex hides /data/lacuna/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-bibtex
/home/amitschang/.emacs.d/lisp23/org-ascii hides /data/lacuna/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-ascii
/home/amitschang/.emacs.d/lisp23/org-info hides /data/lacuna/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-info
/home/amitschang/.emacs.d/lisp23/org-docbook hides /data/lacuna/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org-docbook

Features:
(shadow sort message ecomplete mml mml-sec password-cache mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 qp
ietf-drums nnheader gnus-util netrc time-date mm-util mail-prsvr
gmm-utils wid-edit mailheader canlock sha1 hex-util hashcash mail-utils
warnings emacsbug vm-imap vm-delete vm-crypto vm-pop vm-save tapestry
vm-sort vm-thread easymenu u-vm-color sendmail vm-rfaddons vm-menu
vm-window vm-toolbar vm-folder vm-mime vm-undo vm-virtual
vm-summary-faces vm-mouse vm-page vm-minibuf vm-message vm-misc vm-macro
bbdb-vm vm-summary vm-motion vm-autoload bbdb-snarf mail-extr rfc822
bbdb-com mailabbrev cl cl-19 vm server uniquify advice help-fns
advice-preload easy-mmode org-install w3m-load vm-autoloads vm-version
vm-vars bbdb-autoloads bbdb regexp-opt timezone edmacro kmacro jka-compr
tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd
font-setting tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button
minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process dbusbind system-font-setting
font-render-setting gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)