Subject: bug#68835: Resolving package inheritance issue

From: Sharlatan Hellseher <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 01:01:55 +0000

Hi Guix!

> ./etc/teams.scm cc core
- [email-masked]
- [email-masked]
- [email-masked]
- [email-masked]
- [email-masked]
- [email-masked]
- [email-masked]

Long story short, how to resolve package inheritance which would not
break CI ;-) ?

While reviewing and amending patch series from
<https://issues.guix.gnu.org/61946> I've stabilized it on my local
checkout, which passed complete reconfigure and rebuild few times
(not...).

When I've pushed changes to <https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git>
the commit f8c2d8141efef4565d12d8247bade069889b720e broke CI
<https://ci.guix.gnu.org/eval/1086875/log/raw>.

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
In unknown file:
           6 (primitive-load-path "gnu/packages/web" #<procedure 7f79c08dc920 at ice-9/boot-9.scm:3551:37 ()>)
In ice-9/eval.scm:
    619:8  5 (_ #f)
   626:19  4 (_ #<directory (gnu packages web) 7f79c17a2820>)
   173:55  3 (_ #(#(#(#<directory (gnu packages web) 7f79c17a2820> "minify") #<procedure arguments (a)>) #<procedu?>))
    159:9  2 (_ #(#(#(#<directory (gnu packages web) 7f79c17a2820> "minify") #<procedure arguments (a)>) #<procedu?>))
   223:20  1 (proc #(#(#(#<directory (gnu packages web) 7f79c17a2820> "minify") #<procedure arguments (a)>) #<proc?>))
In unknown file:
           0 (%resolve-variable (7 . go-github-com-tdewolff-minify-v2) #<directory (gnu packages web) 7f79c17a2820>)

ERROR: In procedure %resolve-variable:
error: go-github-com-tdewolff-minify-v2: unbound variable
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

My rational was to keep golang module in (gnu packages golang-web) and
the new inherited package providing executable in (gnu packages web)
which introduced the regression.

Here it is that bad boy!
--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
(define-public minify
  (package
    (inherit go-github-com-tdewolff-minify-v2)
    (name "minify")
    (arguments
     (substitute-keyword-arguments
         (package-arguments go-github-com-tdewolff-minify-v2)
       ((#:install-source? _ #t) #f)
       ((#:import-path _ "github.com/tdewolff/minify/v2")
        "github.com/tdewolff/minify/cmd/minify")))
    (inputs
     (list go-github-com-djherbis-atime
           go-github-com-dustin-go-humanize
           go-github-com-fsnotify-fsnotify
           go-github-com-matryer-try
           go-github-com-spf13-pflag))))
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Having that all too close to my heart I've pushed revert commit
c4687f5437ad89a7e87deed1933b60f6eac83176 wich fixed CI and `guix pull`.

I've started reviewing what could be wrong and maybe the current split
process of (gnu packages golang) into logical modules e.g. golang-xyz,
golang-check, golang-crypto, golang-web introduced deep level of
circular dependencies among Guile modules.

I search for solutions to mitigate the introduced issue.

My plan is to start cleaning up dependency to (gnu packages golang) for
each recently introduced module by moving packages away from it into
groups.

I would be appreciated on any documentation link or examples in code
where package inheritance is used to source package from other module
^.^

Regards,
Oleg