Subject: bug#68831: closed (Re: bug#68831: gnu: torbrowser: noscript gets picked up by icecat)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 16:00:02 +0000

Your bug report

#68831: gnu: torbrowser: noscript gets picked up by icecat

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
68831: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=68831
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#68831: gnu: torbrowser: noscript gets picked up by icecat
From: Clément Lassieur <[email-masked]>
To: André Batista <[email-masked]>
Cc: Marius Bakke <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 16:59:36 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Wed, Jan 31 2024, André Batista wrote:

> Hi Clément,
>
> qua 31 jan 2024 às 03:19:26 (1706681966), [email-masked] enviou:
>> Hello André,
>> 
>> I thought about it, and I even started working on a fix.  But I stopped
>> working on it because I thought it added too much complexity for too
>> little gain.  See:
>> 
>> https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=68298
>
> Oh, I had missed that, I'm sorry for the noise. I had checked guix-bug
> only before submitting this report.
>
>> The default for Tor Browser and Mullvad Browser is that extensions are
>> not working because tabs are private.  Now if a user uses both Icecat
>> and Tor Browser and want a different set of extensions for each of them,
>> they can use 'guix shell', which works perfectly well.  (They can also
>> still add extensions to the Firefox profile.)  Having 4 versions of each
>> extension seems cumbersome.
>
> I concur to your reasoning, it's easy for users to avoid it if they do
> care. You may close this as wontfix.

Ok!  Closing.

Subject: gnu: torbrowser: noscript gets picked up by icecat
From: André Batista <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Clément Lassieur <[email-masked]>, Marius Bakke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 20:56:00 -0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi guix!

It seems that 'make-icecat-extension' is not sufficiently kosher. When
torbrowser and icecat are both installed to the same user profile,
noscript gets picked up by icecat too. The same also happens when
mullvadbrowser is installed: ublock extension is picked up by torbrowser.

Considering there is also a patch to add Librewolf to guix, which will
probably also share the same extensions when installed on the same
profile, I'm unsure if the proper way to solve this issue is to write
similar make-{$browser_name}-extension procedures or to change the
package definitions for those new browsers.

WDYT?