Subject: bug#68812: closed (Re: bug#68812: 30.0.50; vhdl-speedbar-insert-hierarchy in progmodes/vhdl-mode.el)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 14:19:02 +0000

Your bug report

#68812: 30.0.50; vhdl-speedbar-insert-hierarchy in progmodes/vhdl-mode.el

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
68812: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=68812
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#68812: 30.0.50; vhdl-speedbar-insert-hierarchy in progmodes/vhdl-mode.el
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Reto Zimmermann <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 16:18:04 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 14:20:05 +0100
> Cc: [email-masked]
> From: Reto Zimmermann <[email-masked]>
> 
> On 2024-01-30 13:58, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> >> From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
> >> Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 22:56:20 -0500
> >>
> >>
> >> Byte compilation gave me this warning from lisp/progmodes/vhdl-mode.el:
> >>
> >> Compiling file /home/rms/emacs-git/copy-jan-1/lisp/progmodes/vhdl-mode.el at Mon Jan 29 08:29:07 2024
> >>
> >> In vhdl-speedbar-insert-hierarchy:
> >> vhdl-mode.el:14981:41: Warning: Lexical argument shadows the dynamic variable
> >>      package-alist
> > 
> > AFAIU, this only happens if you compile with package.el loaded.
> > Normal byte compilation ("touch vhdl-mode.el && make") doesn't emit
> > this warning
> > 
> >> The latest master has the same problem.
> >>
> >> I don't know that code, so I can't tell whether renaming the argument
> >> would fix the problem.
> > 
> > I think it can be safely renamed.  Reto, do you agree?
> 
> Yes, package-alist can be renamed to pack-alist.

Thanks, done on the master branch.  I renamed to pkg-alist, since
pack-alist is already used elsewhere in vhdl-mode.el, and caused the
same warning.

With that, I close this bug.

Subject: 30.0.50; vhdl-speedbar-insert-hierarchy in progmodes/vhdl-mode.el
From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 22:56:20 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Byte compilation gave me this warning from lisp/progmodes/vhdl-mode.el:

Compiling file /home/rms/emacs-git/copy-jan-1/lisp/progmodes/vhdl-mode.el at Mon Jan 29 08:29:07 2024

In vhdl-speedbar-insert-hierarchy:
vhdl-mode.el:14981:41: Warning: Lexical argument shadows the dynamic variable
    package-alist

The latest master has the same problem.

I don't know that code, so I can't tell whether renaming the argument
would fix the problem.

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 2.24.32, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2024-01-25 built on freetop
Repository revision: 1c369263db826a02e01d4209c7b6b8617971c37c
Repository branch: master
System Description: Trisquel GNU/Linux Aramo (11.0)

Configured using:
 'configure 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g' --with-gnutls=ifavailable'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LIBOTF
LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG
SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2
XPM GTK2 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ELisp/l

Minor modes in effect:
  override-global-mode: t
  bug-reference-prog-mode: t
  gpm-mouse-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: linux
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow mailalias emacsbug misearch multi-isearch
semantic/wisent/python-wy semantic/wisent/js-wy semantic/java
semantic/wisent/javat-wy semantic/complete cedet-idutils cedet-cscope
semantic/decorate/mode semantic/bovine/scm-by semantic/bovine/make-by
semantic/db-el semantic/debug hideif semantic/bovine/c-by
semantic/lex-spp semantic/bovine/gcc semantic/bovine
semantic/analyze/complete viet-util tibet-util lao-util kkc ind-util
korea-util hanja-util ethio-util emoji-labels emoji ja-dic-cnv
semantic/texi srecode/extract srecode/semantic srecode/insert
srecode/filters srecode/args srecode/find srecode/map srecode/srt-mode
srecode/template srecode/srt-wy srecode/ctxt srecode/compile
srecode/dictionary srecode/fields srecode/table semantic/dep
semantic/doc semantic/analyze/refs semantic/senator semantic/edit
semantic/wisent/comp semantic/grammar semantic/grammar-wy
semantic/wisent semantic/wisent/wisent ede/proj-elisp
semantic/symref/global semantic/symref cedet-global semantic/db-file
ebrowse semantic/idle semantic/decorate pulse semantic/analyze
semantic/db-typecache semantic/db-find semantic/db-ref chart
semantic/sort semantic/scope semantic/analyze/fcn semantic/ctxt
semantic/format semantic/tag-ls srecode cedet-files semantic/find
ede/makefile-edit make-mode ede/proj-prog ede/pconf ede/pmake
ede/proj-obj ede/proj ede/proj-comp ede/autoconf-edit locate ede/make
ede/shell ede/config eieio-opt semantic/db ede/speedbar ede/files ede
autoconf autoconf-mode url-dav vc-dir ediff pcvs pcvs-defs vc-cvs
vc-rcs log-view pcvs-parse pcvs-info pcvs-util use-package
use-package-ensure use-package-delight use-package-diminish
use-package-bind-key bind-key use-package-core tex-mode reftex-parse
reftex reftex-loaddefs reftex-vars css-mode pgtk-dnd term/xterm xterm
reporter hippie-exp js add-log dabbrev ruby-mode align smie ido
idlwave idlwave-help idlw-help bindat gud fileloop jsonrpc xref
flymake diff helper ebuff-menu ebnf-otz ebnf2ps cc-langs c-ts-common
gamegrid org-clock ox-odt ox-latex ox-icalendar ox-html table ox-ascii
ox-publish ox org-agenda org-attach org-element org-persist org-id
avl-tree eww doc-view bibtex ob-sql python project treesit ob-octave
eshell calc-store calc-trail cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus
cc-cmds tpu-edt pgg pgg-parse pgg-def cc-styles cc-align cc-engine
cc-vars cc-defs cc-bytecomp cookie1 texnfo-upd texinfo
texinfo-loaddefs rng-nxml nxml-mode rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri
rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-pttrn nxml-ns nxml-outln nxml-rap
sgml-mode nxml-util nxml-enc xmltok tramp-fuse tramp-gvfs tramp-cache
time-stamp soap-client rng-xsd rng-dt rng-util xsd-regexp tempo ntlm
hmac-md5 md4 newst-treeview newst-plainview newst-reader newst-ticker
newst-backend hmac-def executable ldap ecomplete eudc eudc-vars
external-completion dictionary-connection mh-utils mh-letter mh-show
gnus-cite mh-mime which-func mh-acros goto-addr regi rmailmm thai-word
ccl robin uni-scripts idna-mapping ucs-normalize uni-confusable
ja-dic-utl multisession transient image-dired image-dired-tags
image-dired-external image-dired-util spam-stat hashcash gnus-uu
gnus-registry nnml imap yenc sieve sieve-mode sieve-manage rfc1843
registry gnus-fun mh-comp mh-scan mh-gnus mh-e mh-buffers mh-loaddefs
org-capture org-refile org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp
org-macro org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list org-footnote
org-faces org-entities ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-cycle
org-table ol org-fold org-fold-core org-keys oc org-loaddefs
org-version org-compat org-macs icalendar url-queue help-fns mm-url
mail-extr gravatar dns url-cache nndiary gnus-draft nndraft nnmh
gnus-topic gnus-agent nnselect gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode
nnvirtual gnus-msg nntp gnus-cache gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view
mml-smime smime gnutls dig gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file
svg gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail
mail-source utf7 nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message sendmail
yank-media rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus nnheader gnus-util range term
em-dirs esh-mode esh-var esh-cmd esh-ext esh-opt esh-proc esh-io
esh-arg esh-module esh-groups esh-util erc-dcc erc-track flyspell
ispell sasl-scram-sha256 sasl-scram-rfc sasl-scram-sha-1 rfc2104
hex-util sasl sasl-anonymous sasl-login sasl-plain erc-button ibuf-ext
erc-match erc-goodies notifications erc-fill erc-stamp erc erc-backend
erc-networks erc-common erc-compat compat erc-loaddefs viper-cmd
viper-macs viper-ex viper-mous viper-keym viper-util viper-init
picture cua-rect ses testcover edebug vc sqlite ert ewoc data-debug
debug comp-cstr comp-common semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic
semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local color ede/detect
ede/base ede/auto ede/source eieio-speedbar eieio-custom cedet hl-line
cal-julian lunar solar cal-dst diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs calc-alg calcalg3 calc-arith calc-ext calc
calc-loaddefs calc-macs bookmark apropos man w32-vars compare-w
edmacro backtrace cl-print ehelp ange-ftp arc-mode archive-mode dom
imenu tramp trampver tramp-integration tramp-message tramp-compat xdg
parse-time iso8601 time-date format-spec tramp-loaddefs unsafep
eieio-base tree-widget zeroconf printing ps-mule ps-print
ps-print-loaddefs lpr cua-base pcmpl-unix vc-git diff-mode
vc-dispatcher so-long inline iswitchb speedbar ezimage dframe
image-file image-converter ibuf-macs ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs
cperl-mode facemenu ediff-merg ediff-mult ediff-wind ediff-diff
ediff-help ediff-init ediff-util help-macro generic noutline outline
find-func grep generator skeleton cl-extra url-http url-auth
mail-parse rfc2231 url-gw nsm puny epa kmacro chistory jka-compr
image-mode exif shell pcomplete desktop frameset quail help-mode rect
cus-edit cus-start cus-load loaddefs-gen lisp-mnt radix-tree scheme
mule-util pp dbus xml filenotify epg epg-config warnings icons
wid-edit allout let-alist rx pcase easy-mmode bug-reference thingatpt
compile text-property-search comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring dired-aux
files-x dired dired-loaddefs t-mouse term/linux view derived
disp-table advice rmailsum rmail rfc6068 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils finder-inf osm-autoloads info
compat-autoloads package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file
url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl
tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win
x-dnd touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode
register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button
loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads
dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty
move-toolbar make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 2399899 134519) (symbols 48 148678 31)
 (strings 32 644215 12117) (string-bytes 1 13352117)
 (vectors 16 160557) (vector-slots 8 2591030 737078)
 (floats 8 1347 694) (intervals 56 12408 441) (buffers 976 21))
[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org)
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)