Subject: Re: bug#68805: 29.2; Tramp: out-of-band copy-file fails when tramp-copy-keep-date is nil

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2024 17:32:38 +0100

Version: 29.3

Sean Devlin <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Michael,

Hi Sean,

> I can confirm the below patch fixes the issue. Thanks for your help!

Thanks for the feedback. I've pushed the fix to the repositories. Will
appear with the next Tramp release on GNU ELPA (2.6.2.2) later this
month. If there is an Emacs 29.3, it will also contain the fix.

In Emacs 30.0.50 (Tramp 2.7) this patch isn't needed, because due to
reorganization of the code, the cache is flushed in time.

> Regarding the comment, couldn’t some cached file properties (i.e. other than
> file-exists-p) be wrong even if NEWNAME did already exist? I haven’t really
> thought this through, just curious.

Hmm, the comment isn't precise enough, yes. It reflects this bug. But
the code is.

If you like to contribute to Tramp (Emacs), send a patch :-)

> Thanks!

Best regards, Michael.