Subject: bug#6880: 24.0.50; define-minor-mode doc string: no keymap var is defined

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 10:08:22 -0700

The doc string of define-minor-mode says this:
 
"This function defines the associated control variable MODE, keymap
MODE-map, and toggle command MODE."
 
It does not seem to be true that it defines a keymap MODE-map.  And the
Elisp manual does not mention that it defines such a variable.
 
(define-minor-mode foo-mode "...")
 
C-h v foo-mode-map  ; No such variable was defined.
 
This bug goes back to the creation of define-minor-mode, in Emacs 21.
It has apparently never been the case that the keymap variable is
created, and it has always been the case that the doc says it is
created.
 
Or perhaps the bug is not only a doc bug?  Perhaps it is a bug that a
keymap variable is not created?  In that case, after fixing the code so
it creates the variable, the Elisp manual needs to be updated to mention
it.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2010-08-16 on 3249CTO
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.4) --no-opt --cflags
-Ic:/imagesupport/include'