Subject: Re: bug#68799: 30.0.50; emacs --fg-daemon fails silently if server-start fails

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 16:35:00 +0200

> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 23:30:41 +0200
> From:  Björn Bidar via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>
> 
> A side effect of this bug and another is that when emacs --fg-daemon is
> used e.g. in combination with a systemd service. If the service
> takes to long to be ready when a user calls emacsclient that it using
> the standard desktop file it creates another daemon which will then
> make the Emacs started with --fg-daemon fail resulting in the emacs in
> the systemd service fail in circles.

Please tell more details about the scenario you have in mind, because
I don't think I follow.  In particular, why would starting the daemon
take too long? due to what problems?  And how is user invoking
emacsclient relevant in this case?  AFAIU, systemd starts Emacs at
system start or user login time, whereas emacsclient is invoked when
the user wants to run some command or clicks a desktop shortcut, and
those events are not adjacent in time.

I'm probably missing something here.

Thanks.