Subject: bug#68795: closed (Re: bug#68795: 29.2; kill-compilation)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2024 11:03:02 +0000

Your bug report

#68795: 29.2; kill-compilation

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
68795: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=68795
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#68795: 29.2; kill-compilation
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Bob Hepple <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2024 13:01:40 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Bob Hepple <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 23:29:35 +1000
> 
> kill-compilation throws an error when called from an ELisp buffer:
> 
> Wrong type argument: char-or-string-p, ("ELisp" (lexical-binding
> (:propertize "/l" help-echo "Using lexical-binding mode") (:propertize
> "/d" help-echo "Using old dynamic scoping mode
> mouse-1: Enable lexical-binding mode" face warning mouse-face
> mode-line-highlight local-map (keymap (mode-line keymap (mouse-1 .
> elisp-enable-lexical-binding))))))
> 
> How to reproduce from emacs -Q:
> 
> open any elisp file
> M-x compile
> M-x kill-compilation
> 
> Note: kill-compilation calls (downcase mode-name) but it needs to be
> (downcase (format-mode-line mode-name))

Thanks, fixed on the master branch, and closing the bug.

Subject: 29.2; kill-compilation
From: Bob Hepple <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 23:29:35 +1000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

From: Bob Hepple <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: 29.2; kill-compilation
--text follows this line--

Bug description and fix is at the end of this email ...

In GNU Emacs 29.2 (build 2, x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.38, cairo version 1.18.0) of 2024-01-21 built on a-fsn-de
System Description: Void Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --with-pgtk --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc
 --sbindir=/usr/bin --bindir=/usr/bin --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --localstatedir=/var
 --host=x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu --build=x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
 '--libdir=${exec_prefix}/lib64' --with-file-notification=inotify
 --with-modules --with-jpeg --with-tiff --with-gif --with-png
 --with-webp --with-xpm --with-rsvg --without-imagemagick --with-xml2
 --with-gnutls --with-sound --with-m17n-flt --with-json --with-harfbuzz
 --with-cairo --with-libgmp --with-sqlite --with-tree-sitter
 --with-native-compilation=aot 'CFLAGS=-fno-PIE -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe
 -g -ffile-prefix-map=/builddir/emacs-29.2=.' 'CPPFLAGS= '
 'LDFLAGS=-no-pie -Wl,--as-needed ''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PGTK PNG
RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER
WEBP XIM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_AU.utf8
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LANG: C
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Shell-script

Minor modes in effect:
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  doom-modeline-mode: t
  global-goto-address-mode: t
  goto-address-mode: t
  pixel-scroll-precision-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  popper-echo-mode: t
  popper-mode: t
  global-git-gutter-mode: t
  git-gutter-mode: t
  global-company-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  key-chord-mode: t
  flx-ido-mode: t
  ido-vertical-mode: t
  ido-ubiquitous-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  hs-minor-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/mnt/fedora-root/home/bhepple/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20240121.2000/transient
hides /usr/share/emacs/29.2/lisp/transient
/mnt/fedora-root/home/bhepple/.emacs.d/elpa/hierarchy-20190425.842/hierarchy
hides /usr/share/emacs/29.2/lisp/emacs-lisp/hierarchy
/usr/share/emacs/29.2/lisp/progmodes/eglot hides ~/.config/emacs/eglot

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug hideshow sh-script smie treesit
executable display-line-numbers cl-print cus-start hippie-exp mule-util
pulse color face-remap all-the-icons all-the-icons-faces data-material
data-weathericons data-octicons data-fileicons data-faicons
data-alltheicons iflipb esup esup-child benchmark smex discover-my-major
makey browse-kill-ring vc magit-bookmark magit-submodule magit-blame
magit-stash magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch
magit-clone magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes
magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset
magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit magit-repos magit-apply
magit-wip magit-log magit-diff smerge-mode diff git-commit log-edit
pcvs-util magit-core magit-autorevert magit-margin magit-transient
magit-process with-editor shell magit-mode magit-git magit-base
magit-section cursor-sensor crm desktop frameset helpful cc-langs
cc-vars cc-defs trace edebug info-look help-fns radix-tree elisp-refs
misearch multi-isearch files-x add-log vc-git diff-mode vc-dispatcher
company-oddmuse company-keywords company-etags etags fileloop
company-gtags company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-files
company-clang company-capf company-cmake company-semantic
company-template company-bbdb which-func doom-modeline
doom-modeline-segments doom-modeline-env doom-modeline-core shrink-path
f s dash nerd-icons nerd-icons-faces nerd-icons-data
nerd-icons-data-mdicon nerd-icons-data-flicon nerd-icons-data-codicon
nerd-icons-data-devicon nerd-icons-data-sucicon nerd-icons-data-wicon
nerd-icons-data-faicon nerd-icons-data-powerline nerd-icons-data-octicon
nerd-icons-data-pomicon nerd-icons-data-ipsicon modus-vivendi-theme
modus-themes goto-addr pixel-scroll cua-base hl-line delsel server
autorevert cc-isearch-menu transient compat org-beautify-theme
popper-echo popper pdf-tools pdf-view jka-compr pdf-cache pdf-info tq
pdf-util pdf-macs image-mode exif expand-region text-mode-expansions
the-org-mode-expansions er-basic-expansions expand-region-core
expand-region-custom git-gutter company key-chord bookmark+
bookmark+-key dired-x bookmark+-1 gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo
gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo
parse-time iso8601 gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win gnus nnheader
range bookmark+-bmu bookmark+-lit bookmark+-mac speedbar ezimage dframe
json-navigator hierarchy eglot external-completion array filenotify
jsonrpc ert ewoc debug backtrace xref flymake-proc flymake project imenu
elfeed-dashboard org-element org-persist xdg org-id org-refile org ob
ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src ob-comint
org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list org-footnote org-faces org-entities
noutline outline ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-cycle org-table
org-keys oc org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs ol
org-fold org-fold-core org-compat org-version org-macs format-spec
elfeed-show elfeed-search message sendmail yank-media dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util
ietf-drums mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader shr
pixel-fill kinsoku puny svg dom elfeed-csv elfeed elfeed-curl elfeed-log
elfeed-db elfeed-lib time-date avl-tree generator url-queue url-file
xml-query xml bookmark neotree use-package-ensure rpm-spec-mode
gk-ibuffer ibuf-macs ibuffer-vc ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs
flx-ido advice flx ido-vertical-mode ido-completing-read+ memoize
cus-edit pp cus-load wid-edit minibuf-eldef ido which-key
use-package-diminish edmacro kmacro use-package-bind-key bind-key
easy-mmode whitespace ripgrep derived thingatpt grep compile
text-property-search comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring use-package-core
finder-inf cl all-the-icons-autoloads browse-kill-ring-autoloads
company-autoloads discover-my-major-autoloads doom-modeline-autoloads
elfeed-dashboard-autoloads elfeed-autoloads esup-autoloads
expand-region-autoloads flx-ido-autoloads flx-autoloads
git-gutter-autoloads helpful-autoloads elisp-refs-autoloads
ibuffer-vc-autoloads ido-completing-read+-autoloads comp comp-cstr
warnings icons rx cl-extra help-mode ido-vertical-mode-autoloads
iflipb-autoloads json-navigator-autoloads hierarchy-autoloads
key-chord-autoloads magit-autoloads pcase git-commit-autoloads
magit-section-autoloads makey-autoloads memoize-autoloads
neotree-autoloads nerd-icons-autoloads org-beautify-theme-autoloads
pdf-tools-autoloads popper-autoloads ripgrep-autoloads
shrink-path-autoloads f-autoloads dash-autoloads s-autoloads
smex-autoloads tablist-autoloads transient-autoloads which-key-autoloads
with-editor-autoloads info compat-autoloads package browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x
map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc
iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/pgtk-win pgtk-win
term/common-win pgtk-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo gtk pgtk lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1382674 332386)
 (symbols 48 50424 4)
 (strings 32 518834 44560)
 (string-bytes 1 17122126)
 (vectors 16 193696)
 (vector-slots 8 4096787 381762)
 (floats 8 20900 759)
 (intervals 56 7587 5046)
 (buffers 984 34))

kill-compilation throws an error when called from an ELisp buffer:

Wrong type argument: char-or-string-p, ("ELisp" (lexical-binding
(:propertize "/l" help-echo "Using lexical-binding mode") (:propertize
"/d" help-echo "Using old dynamic scoping mode
mouse-1: Enable lexical-binding mode" face warning mouse-face
mode-line-highlight local-map (keymap (mode-line keymap (mouse-1 .
elisp-enable-lexical-binding))))))

How to reproduce from emacs -Q:

open any elisp file
M-x compile
M-x kill-compilation

Note: kill-compilation calls (downcase mode-name) but it needs to be
(downcase (format-mode-line mode-name))