Subject: bug#68788: closed (Re: bug#68788: 29.1; fancy-startup-text help string is inaccurate)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 13:00:02 +0000

Your bug report

#68788: 29.1; fancy-startup-text help string is inaccurate

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
68788: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=68788
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#68788: 29.1; fancy-startup-text help string is inaccurate
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Christopher Yeleighton <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 14:59:18 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 22:42:14 +0000
> From: Christopher Yeleighton <[email-masked]>
> 
> The help string should not mention what the variable is allowed to contain,
> the specification should be in one place only.

Thanks, fixed.

> BTW, I have the following question:
> 
> If fancy-startup-text is a list of lists, each of them containing a 
> separate line of text, why does it contain just one list?  I mean, it 
> works as is, I just find the value conceptually inconsistent with the model.

I have no idea.  Maybe someone wanted the data structure to be easily
extensible?  Maybe if you look at this code's history, you will find
the answer?

Closing.

Subject: 29.1; fancy-startup-text help string is inaccurate
From: Christopher Yeleighton <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 22:38:10 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

(let*
((text (car fancy-startup-text))
(string-or-face (nth #o3 text))
(maybe-face (nth #o2 text)))
(if
(or
(stringp string-or-face)
(eq :face string-or-face)
(eq :face maybe-face))
nil
(error
"Found an unexpected element [%s] in the 1st fancy start-up text list.
It is not a FACE because [%s] is not [%s]."
string-or-face
maybe-face
:face)))
C-x C-e

 > if: Found an unexpected element [:link] in the 1st fancy start-up 
text list.
 > It is not a FACE because [Welcome to ] is not [:face].

In GNU Emacs 29.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.38,
cairo version 1.17.8)
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101010
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
'configure --sysconfdir=/etc --prefix=/usr --libexecdir=/usr/lib
--with-tree-sitter --localstatedir=/var --with-cairo
--disable-build-details --with-harfbuzz --with-libsystemd
--with-modules --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64
-mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt -fexceptions -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
-Wformat -Werror=format-security -fstack-clash-protection
-fcf-protection -g
-ffile-prefix-map=/build/emacs/src=/usr/src/debug/emacs -flto=auto'
'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now -flto=auto''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
value of $LANG: pl_PL.UTF-8
locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Help

Minor modes in effect:
shell-dirtrack-mode: t
outline-minor-mode: t
tooltip-mode: t
global-eldoc-mode: t
show-paren-mode: t
electric-indent-mode: t
mouse-wheel-mode: t
tool-bar-mode: t
menu-bar-mode: t
file-name-shadow-mode: t
isearch-fold-quotes-mode: t
global-font-lock-mode: t
font-lock-mode: t
blink-cursor-mode: t
buffer-read-only: t
line-number-mode: t
indent-tabs-mode: t
transient-mark-mode: (only . t)
auto-composition-mode: t
auto-encryption-mode: t
auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(gnutls network-stream url-http url-gw nsm url-cache url-auth eww xdg
url-queue shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg xml dom mm-url gnus
nnheader range wid-edit tutorial compose cus-start cus-load
display-line-numbers xref project lpr thai-util thai-word repeat
mailalias mailclient textsec uni-scripts idna-mapping ucs-normalize
uni-confusable textsec-check facemenu shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug
message yank-media puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file
url-domsuf url-util url-parse url-vars mailcap mule-util info tar-mode
arc-mode archive-mode sh-script rx smie treesit executable files-x
conf-mode shell pcomplete comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring dired-aux
dired dired-loaddefs noutline outline icons two-column kmacro debug
backtrace find-func face-remap shortdoc text-property-search cl-extra
cl-print erc-lang erc-goodies erc iso8601 auth-source cl-seq eieio
eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json map pp format-spec erc-backend
erc-networks byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile erc-common erc-compat
erc-loaddefs thingatpt help-fns radix-tree jka-compr misearch
multi-isearch time-date subr-x rfc1345 quail help-mode cl-loaddefs
cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 562893 66057)
(symbols 48 29963 22)
(strings 32 156709 5018)
(string-bytes 1 3350397)
(vectors 16 69614)
(vector-slots 8 2050911 132687)
(floats 8 143 402)
(intervals 56 22273 1269)
(buffers 984 29))