Subject: bug#68765: 30.0.50; Adding window-tool-bar package.

From: Jared Finder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2024 21:18:12 -0700

On 2024-05-20 02:19, Philip Kaludercic wrote:
> Jared Finder <[email-masked]> writes:
>> On 2024-05-19 07:41, Philip Kaludercic wrote:
>>> Jared Finder <[email-masked]> writes:
>>>> Is there anything else that needs to be done to get this package on
>>>> ELPA?  I'd like to use this package on older Emacsen as well.
>>> It just has to be added to ELPA, but that is a one-line patch to
>>> elpa.git.  Here is the tarball I generated locally:
>>> Can you confirm that it looks alright and works on older systems
>>> (use
>>> M-x package-install-file)?
>> 
>> Confirmed, just tested it! It worked fine on Emacs 29.1 the package's
>> minimum supported version.
> 
> Regarding that point, I didn't follow the thread in detail, but why is
> 29.1 the minimum version?  package-lint indicates that it should be
> compatible with 27.1, but it might be missing something.

Only because that was the version I used regularly when I started 
writing this.  I plan to extend support to earlier Emacs versions in a 
future version of this package.  I'm just waiting on squaring away this 
first step before working on any updates. :)

On 2024-05-19 23:39, Philip Kaludercic wrote:
> Jared Finder <[email-masked]> writes:
>> On 2024-05-19 07:41, Philip Kaludercic wrote:
>>> Where will the package be documented?  Should anything be added to
>>> the
>>> ELPA package?
>> 
>> I was hoping documentation could just stay in the core Emacs manual.
>> window-tool-bar is a core package and I was hoping to document it next
>> to existing documentation on the existing (frame) tool bar.  Does that
>> seem reasonable?
> 
> Sure, in that case the core should just link to the specific Info node.
> As soon as the manual is updated on the gnu.org website I'd also add a
> HTTP link for people previewing the package to be able to see as well.

I'm not quite sure what change you're looking for here.  Let's assume 
I've added an info node "(emacs)Window Tool Bar" that is also a function 
index for global-window-tool-bar-mode, where do you think I should 
mention this link?

> Otherwise, I'll add the package to ELPA now, and I hope it will appear
> on the site in a few hours.

Yup, I see it! Thanks!

   -- MJF