Subject: bug#68762: 30.0.50; thing-at-point for an e-mail adress stops at "."

From: Eshel Yaron <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 08:47:49 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Eshel Yaron <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: Titus Müller <[email-masked]>,  Philip Kaludercic
>>  <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked]
>> Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 06:58:19 +0100
>>
>> FWIW, AFAICT this is introduced by 03cfede8f0 (which fixed Bug#61519).
>>
>> I think the real issue resides in `thing-at-point-looking-at`, though:
>> It stops extending the match backwards when it first encounters a
>> non-match.  The following change solves this for me, and keeps all the
>> tests happy:
>
> Thanks.  Can you describe the main ideas of the change?

Sure: the current implementation searches forward first, and then back,
until it finds a match that contains point.  It then extends the match
backward character by character until it reaches a non-match.  My change
reverses the direction: start from some position before point and search
forward until you find a match that contains point.  This works better
since "matching a regular expression at a given spot always works from
beginning to end" (from Info node "(elisp) Regexp Search").

> Robert, any comments?