Subject: Re: bug#67667: bug#68756: Uninstalling emacs does not remove Start Menu entries created during the installation

From: Corwin Brust <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 12:47:18 -0600

On Thu, Feb 15, 2024 at 12:27 PM Дилян Палаузов
<[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Hello Corwin,
>
> before installing emacs-29.2.50_bug#58756-installer.exe I have installed emacs-29.2-installer.exe . The latter has created a Start Menu group emacs 29.2 with two icons - emacs and uninstall. After installing emacs-29.2.50_bug#58756-installer.exe it creates separate Start Menu directory 29.2.50. The Start menu Emacs 29.2/uninstall disappears. After clicking Start Menu/emacs 29.2.50/uninstall the entry Emacs 29.2/uninstall appears again, but it is now dysfunctional. Apart from this, uninstalling 29.2.50 does remove the Start Menu entries it has created. I cannot test if two different versions work during install/uninstall as expected, since I have no two different versions which are at the same time “fixed”.
>

Thank you very much for testing Дилян.  This is as I would expect: I
won't be able to change the behavior of previously created installers.

For this reason we should probably put out some type of advisory that
using executing any version of the installer published so far will
unconditionally remove <program files>\Emacs and all version of Emacs
therein.

Stefan, Eli,

Do you have thoughts on alerting users of the windows installer to
this, and how we would best do that? (Is this a good candidate for
PROBLEMS?)