Subject: bug#6875: Strange behaviour when moving cursor between lines

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 22:47:49 -0400

James Battat wrote:

> I am a longtime user of emacs on linux platforms. I recently
> installed emacs23 on my macbook pro (fink install emacs23)

It's a good idea to browse the NEWS file when you upgrade to a new
version of Emacs. C-h n.

> and see unexpected behaviour when moving the cursor forward one line
> via CTRL-n.

Specifically:

    * Editing Changes in Emacs 23.1

    ** The C-n and C-p line-motion commands now move by screen lines,
    taking continued lines and variable-width characters into account.
    Setting `line-move-visual' to nil reverts this to the previous
    behavior (i.e., motion by logical lines based on buffer contents
    alone).

> Is this a selectable setting? A bug? A known difference between
> emacs 21 and emacs 23? Something else?

Yes. No. Yes. No.