Subject: bug#68732: closed (Re: bug#68732: 29.1; shell-command-default-error-buffer is not interactive)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2025 01:20:02 +0000

Your bug report

#68732: 29.1; shell-command-default-error-buffer is not interactive

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
68732: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=68732
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#68732: 29.1; shell-command-default-error-buffer is not interactive
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: Krzysztof Żelechowski <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2025 19:19:52 -0600
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 16:16:21 +0100
>> From: Krzysztof Żelechowski <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>>
>> The point is, the function shell-command does not use this variable because it only affects interactive
>> use.  So indeed, writing a command that invokes shell-command is an option, but it does make a use
>> case for the existence of this variable.
>>
>> My POV is splitting standard output and standard error (maybe on demand) is a basic usability
>> requirement and should not require writing custom commands.
>>
>> The problem is not with using setq by users, it is with getting non-developers to write and execute
>> Lisp scripts to accomplish basic tasks, including scripts that just invoke setq.  The latter obviously is
>> not a problem when you are a scientist, but I imagine that the front end would be much cleaner if
>> operable cleanly without scripting (again, this concept limited to basic tasks obviously).
>
> We cannot possibly make every variable a defcustom, just because
> someone somewhere will need to set a variable while not being a
> programmer, can we?
>
> So, while I understand your motivation, it still doesn't convince me
> to make the variable a user option.  Splitting stdout and stderr might
> be a basic usability requirement in your eyes, but IME users rarely
> send stderr to a separate place, which is why this variable is not a
> defcustom.

I agree, so I'm closing this bug report now.

Subject: 29.1; shell-command-default-error-buffer is not interactive
From: Christopher Yeleighton <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 11:04:30 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

M-x set-variable RET shell-command-default-error-buffer RET

 > shell-command-default-error-buffer [No match]

In GNU Emacs 29.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.38,
cairo version 1.17.8)
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101010
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
'configure --sysconfdir=/etc --prefix=/usr --libexecdir=/usr/lib
--with-tree-sitter --localstatedir=/var --with-cairo
--disable-build-details --with-harfbuzz --with-libsystemd
--with-modules --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64
-mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt -fexceptions -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
-Wformat -Werror=format-security -fstack-clash-protection
-fcf-protection -g
-ffile-prefix-map=/build/emacs/src=/usr/src/debug/emacs -flto=auto'
'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now -flto=auto''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
value of $LANG: pl_PL.UTF-8
locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Help

Minor modes in effect:
shell-dirtrack-mode: t
outline-minor-mode: t
tooltip-mode: t
global-eldoc-mode: t
show-paren-mode: t
electric-indent-mode: t
mouse-wheel-mode: t
tool-bar-mode: t
menu-bar-mode: t
file-name-shadow-mode: t
isearch-fold-quotes-mode: t
global-font-lock-mode: t
font-lock-mode: t
blink-cursor-mode: t
buffer-read-only: t
line-number-mode: t
indent-tabs-mode: t
transient-mark-mode: (only . t)
auto-composition-mode: t
auto-encryption-mode: t
auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message yank-media puny rfc822 mml
mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util url-parse url-vars mailcap
mule-util info tar-mode arc-mode archive-mode sh-script rx smie treesit
executable files-x conf-mode shell pcomplete comint ansi-osc ansi-color
ring dired-aux dired dired-loaddefs noutline outline icons two-column
kmacro debug backtrace find-func face-remap shortdoc
text-property-search cl-extra cl-print erc-lang erc-goodies erc iso8601
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json map pp
format-spec erc-backend erc-networks byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile
erc-common erc-compat erc-loaddefs thingatpt help-fns radix-tree
jka-compr misearch multi-isearch time-date subr-x rfc1345 quail
help-mode cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 246121 11289)
(symbols 48 12581 0)
(strings 32 50530 2914)
(string-bytes 1 1400440)
(vectors 16 34472)
(vector-slots 8 1105840 124415)
(floats 8 103 310)
(intervals 56 13789 279)
(buffers 984 35))