Subject: bug#68727: 30.0.50; package-upgrade-all fails

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 22:19:31 -0500

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

I tried it again just now.  My internet connection is currently
working normally, and it just failed again the same way.  If you tell
me what operation might be failing, I could try to test it.

i don't understand how this is trying to access a file -- I don't see
any file access functions in the backtrace.  The argument is a URL,
not a file name.  I don't know what any of these functions is supposed
to do.

Can you tell me any way to try to diagnose this further?

  signal(file-error ("http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/archive-contents" "Not implemented"))
  package--with-response-buffer-1("http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/" #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode 0x10f9e899068e13c5>) :file "archive-contents" :async nil :error-function #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode 0x25e331dd4def6df>) :noerror nil)
  package--download-one-archive(("gnu" . "http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/") "archive-contents" nil)
  package--download-and-read-archives(nil)
  run-hook-with-args(package--download-and-read-archives nil)
  package-refresh-contents()
  package-upgrade-all(t)
  funcall-interactively(package-upgrade-all t)
  call-interactively(package-upgrade-all record nil)
  command-execute(package-upgrade-all record)
  execute-extended-command(nil "package-upgrade-all" nil)

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org)
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)