Subject: bug#68723: Unmatched parenthesis in FAST-DEMO?

From: Mats Lidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 14:14:57 +0100

> Felix Lechner via Bug-hyperbole via writes:
> Hi,
>
> Today was my first day with Hyperbole. Thanks for providing such a neat
> piece of software!
>
> In the file FAST-DEMO, I activated the button <emacs-lisp-mode> [1] in
> the section entitled "Many More Implicit Button Types to Learn Across
> Time."  I was directed to the second line here [2] due to an unmatched
> parenthesis:
>
>     <find-file-other-window (expand-file-name "DEMO" hyperb:dir)>
>     <hpath:find "${hyperb:dir}/DEMO")>
>     "${hyperb:dir}/DEMO"
>
> The issue appears to be the regular closing parenthesis after
> "${hyperb:dir}/DEMO".
>
> I know very little about Emacs but hope this information is in good
> hands here. Thanks!
>
> Kind regards
> Felix Lechner
>
> [1] https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/hyperbole.git/tree/FAST-DEMO#n335
> [2] https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/hyperbole.git/tree/FAST-DEMO#n321

Thanks for the report. Can it be that you are using the latest stable release
of Hyperbole, version 8?

I checked the behavior in the latest development version and I could not
recreate it there. Chances are that we fixed this in the development version
plus many other updates. Can you give that a try?

You should be able to install it by adding "https://elpa.gnu.org/devel/ to
your list of package-archives. I enclose the section about the elpa devel
installation from the Hyperbole info pages below.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
B.1.2 Elpa In-Development Package Installation
----------------------------------------------

The Elpa In-Development package pulls from the latest Hyperbole
development branch tip and does not require installation of any new
package manager software.  Since Hyperbole is a mature package, this is
usually fine to use and update on a day-to-day basis.  But new features
are tested on this branch and once in awhile it may break for a short
time before a fix is pushed.  With this branch you'll be able to submit
bug reports and feature requests but will not be able to submit pull
requests for changes to the developers; use the Git In-Development
Package instead for that.

   If you have Hyperbole installed and simply want to upgrade it, invoke
the Emacs Package Manager with {M-x list-packages <RET>}, then use the
{U} key followed by the {x} key to upgrade all out-of-date packages,
Hyperbole among them.  Then skip the text below and move on to the next
section, *note Invocation::.

   Otherwise, to download and install the Hyperbole package, you should
add several lines to your personal Emacs initialization file,
'~/.emacs'.  (For further details, *note The Emacs Initialization File:
(emacs)Init File.).

     ;; Below are the lines to add:

     (when (< emacs-major-version 27)
       (error "Hyperbole requires Emacs 27 or above, not %d"
              emacs-major-version))
     (require 'package)
     (add-to-list 'package-archives
                  '("gnu-devel" . "https://elpa.gnu.org/devel/"))
     (unless (package-installed-p 'hyperbole)
       (package-refresh-contents)
       (package-install 'hyperbole))
     (hyperbole-mode 1)

   Now save the file and restart Emacs.  Hyperbole will then be
downloaded and compiled for use with your version of Emacs; give it a
minute or two.  You may see a bunch of compilation warnings but these
can be safely ignored.
----------------------------------------------

%% Mats