Subject: bug#6871: Please make linum-mode per buffer, not per major mode

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 14:59:09 +0200

>>> Normally in my own code I just fix all the issues I see on the fly so
>>> to say. That is faster since I have already looked at the code then
>>> and knows what to do. Later (which may be much later) I might forget
>>> about exactly how to do it.
>> I have my own branch with a hodge-podge of changes in random order.
>> When I want to install a change from there to the trunk, I do a diff of
>> the relevant files and then pick the relevant parts and add
>> a ChangeLog message.
> Seems easiest, but I am not sure how to make the diff file.

By "I do a diff of the relevant files", I meant "bzr diff -rsubmit:
<files>", or rather C-u C-x v = s[TAB] RET RET.
By "pick the relevant parts", I meant:
- go to the *vc-diff* buffer
- M-x cd RET /my/checkout/of/the/trunk RET
- apply C-c C-a to the hunks I want to pick
- edit to clean up, improve, ...
- save the modified files.
- do C-x v = on the modified files, to see the patch I'm about to commit
  to trunk (or to send it via email).

> I just edited the diff file I had. Does this work,

Depends if you edited it well or not.

> i.e. how does the program patch handle this?

Again, depends if you edited it correctly or not.  Have you tried it?

> I have attached a patch done this way for just making linum-mode per
> buffer instead of per major mode.

Have you tried the patch and confirmed that it works and fixes
your problem?  I see it lacks the removal of change-major-mode-hook.

        Stefan