Subject: Re: bug#6871: Please make linum-mode per buffer, not per major mode

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 12:05:50 +0300

> From: Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 00:21:40 +0200
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> > That depends. I don't develop on the trunk, but a branch, so if some
> > of the changes are trivial fixes or whatever, I move them to the trunk
> > and commit them right now (so one less thing to think about) and keep
> > the other changes in the branch while I refine them. Else, I commit
> > each change to my branch as separate commits, and then, when the time
> > comes to merge back to the trunk, I decide if they are related or not,
> > so I push them as a merge or separate commits.
> 
> Thansk, I think I understand the workflow, but I do not know how to do
> this practically.
> 
> Let us say I first in this case write the parts for multi major modes.
> I guess I then submit this to my local rep? How?

You need to create a separate branch, with the "bzr branch" command.
Then you can commit there with "bzr ci".

Alternatively, you can use "bzr ci --local" in the bound branch, but
this is less recommended, since it requires you to be aware of local
commits that you didn't push to the remote repository.

> And how do I make a diff after that? Can I make the diff later on to
> in a simple way?

Ye, "bzr diff" supports versions.  E.g.,

  bzr diff -r101100..101101

will produce the diffs between the two named versions.

> After this I want to do the other changes to linum immediately so I
> will not forget them. So I do that and submit them to my local rep.

Yes.

> Or should I do something else at this point?

Nothing else is required.

> And what if Stefan (or someone else) now says that the first part
> needs some refinements and I should send a new patch? How can I handle
> that now after I have submitted my first part to my local rep?

You commit another change and use "bzr diff" as above, with a
different couple of revision numbers.