Subject: bug#6871: Please make linum-mode per buffer, not per major mode

From: Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 00:21:40 +0200

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 11:57 PM, Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 23:23, Lennart Borgman
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> I thought the intent would be obvious in this small amount of code,
>> but it looks like I am wrong.
>
> Usually, changes are much clearer to the writer than to the reader :-)

Depends on who is writing and who is reading. I hoped they were
clearer to the reader ;-)

>> Do you try to keep multiple copies of the code with different patches
>> in each? Or what do you do?
>
> That depends. I don't develop on the trunk, but a branch, so if some
> of the changes are trivial fixes or whatever, I move them to the trunk
> and commit them right now (so one less thing to think about) and keep
> the other changes in the branch while I refine them. Else, I commit
> each change to my branch as separate commits, and then, when the time
> comes to merge back to the trunk, I decide if they are related or not,
> so I push them as a merge or separate commits.

Thansk, I think I understand the workflow, but I do not know how to do
this practically.

Let us say I first in this case write the parts for multi major modes.
I guess I then submit this to my local rep? How?

And how do I make a diff after that? Can I make the diff later on to
in a simple way?

After this I want to do the other changes to linum immediately so I
will not forget them. So I do that and submit them to my local rep. Or
should I do something else at this point?

And what if Stefan (or someone else) now says that the first part
needs some refinements and I should send a new patch? How can I handle
that now after I have submitted my first part to my local rep?