Subject: Re: bug#68698: 30.0.50; Making xt-mouse emit `wheel-up/down`

From: Jared Finder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 21:02:34 -0800

On 2024-01-25 18:26, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> A local run of HEAD (as of Jan 17, I'm at daec3e) with
>> "./configure --with-pgtk" has mouse-wheel-up-event set to wheel-down
>> because (featurep 'pgtk-win) is t, even with -nw on the command line.
>> Testing on Windows at Emacs 29.1 shows the same behavior.
> 
> This has been changed on `master` around Jan 19.  Now `mwheel.el` uses
> `wheel-up/down` unconditionally and `mouse-wheel-up/down-event` is only
> used for *other* events (defaults to `mouse-4/5`).
> 
>> Also, I do not think xt-mouse knows how to generate mouse-6 or mouse-7
>> events.  I think to generate events beyond mouse-5, you need to test
>> against the 128 bit as well.  I don't have mouse hardware to confirm
>> this behavior.
> 
> I didn't both to check the code to see if that can happen (especially
> since there are various possible encodings coming from the terminal).
> The way wrote the code, it'll do the right thing if/when the rest of
> `xt-mouse` manages to generate those events, but indeed it might be the
> case that currently this will never happen.

Ah great!

Then I have no concerns about this patch.

   -- MJF