Subject: Re: bug#68698: 30.0.50; Making xt-mouse emit `wheel-up/down`

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 21:30:02 -0500

Po Lu [2024-01-26 09:59:50] wrote:
> Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:
>> The main reason is that it's painful to do it in `input-decode-map`
>> because it has to be done not just for `mouse-4/5/6/7` but for all
>> combinations of possible modifiers (shift, control, alt, meta, super,
>> hyper, double, triple, down), so that's like a couple thousand entries
>> we'd need to put in that map.
>
> I am quite loath to change the set of events generated by the X11 button
> event processing code, in view of the convoluted interaction between it,
> toolkits, and code further down the line.  Any other solution would be
> preferable, such as perhaps:

OK, will keep this in mind.  The current bug#68698 is only suggesting
changing `xt-mouse.el`, tho, so we can leave the X11 case for later (or
for never, since we may also decide to let it disappear into the past
as XInput2 becomes the norm).

        Stefan