Subject: Re: bug#68692: 29.1; File-local variable storage for strings with newlines

From: Karthik Chikmagalur <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 11:49:51 -0800

>> Is there a programmatic way (using elisp) to insert a local variable
>> value that is a string that extends over multiple lines, as in my
>> original example?  I can write a helper function to replace newlines
>> with backslash-newlines, but determining the right suffix to add at the
>> end of each line is tricky.
>
> We have add-file-local-variable and modify-file-local-variable -- did
> you try any of them?  If they don't handle this case, we need to fix
> them so they do.

Yes, I tried both, and they don't handle this case correctly. (My
original bug report used add-file-local-variable in the reproduction
instructions.)

Should this be filed as a bug, or should I email emacs-devel about this?
I don't know how to solve it beyond let-binding print-escape-newlines to
t in modify-file-local-variable -- I don't know if this can cause other
problems.

Karthik