Subject: Re: bug#68687: Org mode code evaluation

From: Max Nikulin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2024 11:58:44 +0700

On 02/02/2024 10:38, Richard Stallman wrote:
> 
>    > I did not imply that Org mode is safe. I directly said that there are
>    > security issues and that they are known.
> 
> Could you plesae post a pointer to a desciption of them?

I would strongly prefer to move discussion of Org security to a 
dedicated thread on emacs-orgmode or emacs-devel and leave this bug to 
media types used for Org.

Whenever the suggested patch committed (as a whole or in parts) or not, 
admit that Org mode is already used as media type handler for mail 
messages and downloaded files.

I have tried a couple more ideas, but have not managed to achieve code 
execution when files are loaded (assuming default or plausible user 
settings). If Org keystrokes are not active when mail messages are 
opened then it should be safe enough. (However I suspect an issue 
unrelated to code execution.) If Emacs or Org mode has severe issues 
then it is possible to exploit them even without the patch. Just send a 
message having 3 attachments covering all variants of Content-Type.

The point is to minimize discrepancy related to Org mode stuff within 
Emacs and outside of it. E.g. in default configuration Thunderbird on 
Debian 12 bookworm sends attachments as text/org. Emacs core uses 
text/x-org or application/vnd.lotus-organizer. With no action taken it 
will last further.