Subject: bug#68687: [PATCH] Use text/org media type

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 22:56:58 -0500

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > I think Richard lacks the broader context: that text/org is supposed
  > to appear in the Content-Type header in email messages, and the MUA is
  > supposed to display this content in received email messages according
  > to user expectations, which generally follow how Org buffers display
  > text.

Thanks/ I had a feeling that it was something along roughtly those
lines, but I was not sure.  Now I know.

I am concerned that the actions described above would tend to embed
Org format and Org mode more deeply into Emacs usage.

Suppose A and B are Org users.  If A knows this, and mails B a message
which contains text labaled as text/org, that won't make anyone
unhappy.  No one would have a reason to complain.

But what if C mails a message to D with text labeled as text/org and D
is not an Org user?  Will that cause Emacs to load Org?  It should
not.

What will Gnus do when the user readss a message with text labaled as
text/org?  What will Rmail do?  What will MH-E do?

These are crucial questions because the answers would determine
whether this feature pressures people to use Org mode or not.  We need
concrete answers because only that would enable us to see cleary now
whether the feature would do that if in use.

Max Nikulin <[email-masked]> wrote:

    Received or fetched Org 
  > files must be treated with some precautions, but it is another story.

I was not aware of this issue.  Let's look at it concretely now so we
can determine what its implications are.  Have people already written
a list of these precautions?  If so, I'd like to see it.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org)
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)