Subject: Re: bug#68687: [PATCH] Use text/org media type

From: Max Nikulin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 17:52:40 +0700

On 26/01/2024 06:43, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
> However, AFAIU, text/org will fall into "standards tree" in IANA media
> type specification, which means that it MUST be registered,
> 
> Registering text/org media type requires syntax spec. We are
> still working on format Org mode syntax specifications.

You a right. I was confused reading rfc6648 that registration procedure 
had been simplified to deprecate x- prefixes. In addition, I did not 
realize that application/vnd.lotus-organizer was registered without 
format specification because this type belongs to the vendor tree, not 
standards one.
https://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/application/vnd.lotus-organizer

I do not think it is reasonable to use a type like text/vnd.gnu.emacs.org.

Even with format specification, I am afraid, .org file name suffix may 
be an obstacle. Likely it is necessary to contact IBM and to ask them 
concerning registration of Lotus. In the optimistic scenario they may 
declare Lotus-related media types as obsolete since the product is 
discontinued.

Changing of file name suffix for Org would be more painful than updating 
emacs to use text/org instead of text/x-org.