Subject: bug#68687: [PATCH] Use text/org media type

From: Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 23:43:14 +0000

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I suggest to make the media type used for Org mode files consistent with
>> the one used by XDG https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xdg/shared-mime-info
>> Currently Emacs has text/x-org, however "x-" prefix is not recommended
>> by IANA any more, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6648
>> "Deprecating the "X-" Prefix and Similar Constructs in Application
>> Protocols"
>> Ideally somebody should file a request to IANA to register the text/org
>> media type.
>> https://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/media-types.xhtml
>
> Eli, Ihor, what do you think?

I see using text/org as an improvement. text/x-org is likely useless.
At least,
https://github.com/jeremy-compostella/org-msg/blob/master/org-msg.el
uses text/org, which may appear in email parts.

However, AFAIU, text/org will fall into "standards tree" in IANA media
type specification, which means that it MUST be registered, as described
in https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6838.html#section-3.1

Registering text/org media type requires syntax spec. We are
still working on format Org mode syntax specifications. See
https://list.orgmode.org/orgmode/[email-masked]/ and
https://orgmode.org/worg/org-syntax.html

The spec is still not fully finalized, so we are not yet initiating the
registration, as we will need to repeat it again if we decide to make
further changes (https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6838.html#section-5.5)

-- 
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,
Learn more about Org mode at <https://orgmode.org/>.
Support Org development at <https://liberapay.com/org-mode>,
or support my work at <https://liberapay.com/yantar92>