Subject: bug#68686: [Bug] smtpmail-send-queued-mail ignores some headers of the message it's sending!

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 12:50:11 +0000

Disclaimer: I use Rmail on Emacs, and Message-Mode.

Bug Part 1:

The From: header is ignored (from the message as saved in 'queued email 
folder') when sending with smtpmail-send-queued-mail, and takes the 
value of user-mail-address when this wasn't previously customized by the 
user. This is really worrisome! What else is ignored and rewritten 
without warning when invoking smtpmail-send-queued-mail?

Followup to Bug Part 1:

It would be interesting to figure out whether this happens also when 
user-mail-address had been previously customized by the user.

Bug Part 2:

This discrepancy between the behaviour of queued-sending and immediate 
sending (I use the default functions for the most current version of 
Emacs as of today) I consider to be a bug on itself. Because not doing 
things consistently confuses the user (even not doing the *wrong* thing 
consistently confuses the user. In this case the wrong thing is 
rewriting the From: header of every email).