Subject: bug#68685: [BUG] default From: when composing new messages ignores user-mail-address (part1) and uses message-user-fqdn (part2)!

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 12:42:13 +0000

Initial disclaimer: I use Emacs, Rmail, and Message-Mode.

Bug Part 1:

Actual behaviour:

When user-mail-address is not set and therefore defaults (at least in my 
case) to user@hostmachine (in my case user@fedora), then the default 
email address when composing a new message somehow ignores this and 
becomes user@message-user-fqdn, which should instead only be reserved 
for message-id's (as the description of this variable says).

Expected behaviour:

The From: header when composing new messages should default to the value 
of user-mail-address regardless to whether this later variable was 
previously customized by the user or not (in the later case defaults to 
the standard value). Note that when user-mail-address is customized by 
the user, then composing a new message rightfully defaults the From: 
header the the value of user-mail-address.

Bug Part 2:

message-user-fqdn should only used for message-ID's as the description 
of this variable prescribes. It's not the case because it intervenes in 
the From: header (see Bug Part 1 above). Is there other bits where 
message-user-fqdn intervenes except for message-ID's (and shouldn't, 
because as I said its desciption says that its value intervenes in 
message-ID's).